1997 Saracen Hardtrax - First retro bike - Build Update!!

Could be the BB width, but unlikely if you haven't changed it..

If you've set up a new front mech, it could be that the wire isn't tight enough, or more likely your limit adjustment screw is too tight and won't allow the mech to be pulled that far over. Best way to check is to turn the adjuster barrel on the shifter anticlockwise around 4-5 turns (go nuts - but take note of how much you turn it so you can undo what you just did!) and see if it gets any better.
If it does, you need to pull the wire tighter through the mech, if it it makes no difference then it's the limit adjuster screw.
Alternatively try pushing the mech cage out over the 3rd chainring by hand, if it won't go any further, it's the limit screw!

Planet X stem looks awesome, mate.

What size BB did you use, btw? Just put a Shimano Alivio crankset on, and wondering about changing the BB - mainly cos it seems hard to get the cranks to fit on right up to the frame, so wondered if a new bottom bracket might help.

Also - did u have any problem freeing up the seat post or headset?
I think mine was left outside by the previous owner, and the seat post seems to have become one with the tube lol.

Going well otherwise. Fitted new handlebars, front + rear mech, SRAM chain, alivio crankset with raceface bolts, and etc black/silver pedals. Also replacement altus canti brakes.
Fancy new shifters and brake levers next (altus shifters, and whatever cantilever compatible brake levers I can find lol).
At some point would like black rims and 2.1" tyres (1.75 at the mo) - plus a nukeproof seatpost, and new headset (hope) and handlebar stem, if I can loosen the old ones, lol. :p

Bmx brake levers are the most common new canti compatable levers, unless you don't mind 2nd hand :D

Sounds like a few of us on here now with hardtrax and 97s too :cool:

Edit: stuff 2.1 I used to have 2.5 and now 2.35, want some 2.6/7s to slip on it ;)

Ahh - will have a look at BMX levers.

and LOL! Your tyres will be beefy as hell haha. What's the max size for fitting under the forks? Tbh, 2.1/2.2 will do for me - don't want it too heavy or anything. Need to change tho, cos the 1.75 are too flim, and I can see them getting stuck down all kinds of ruts, lol.

Anyone know how good hardtrax are on trails? Only thing I'm concerned about is the canti brakes and lack of front suspension, lol. :p

Are you familiar with the peak district? I've gone down Jacobs ladder on mine ;) won't pretend it wasn't scary though, but doable nice and steady :LOL:

It's really good fun on trails, never had a problem once I got it all set up properly :LOL:

Here's mine http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... sc&start=0

Maybe we should start a hardtrax thing in the main thread instead of this guys build thread? Or continue it on mine I don't mind :D

Haha cool - I'll deffo try mine then. Headin for the Marin Trail in Betws Y Coed... prolly spring tho, cos it's er... waterlogged lol.

And yup - start a new thread for Hardtrax! We can all post our pics there then yeh?

Like ur bike, btw - Maxxis look cool, and the lizardskin chainstay protector.
Maxxis and black rims are on my wishlist for next yr - might have to get a lizardskin now tho haha.

Like the way urs has more of a trail look to it. Osella's is kinda funkyretro. I've gone for the bog-standard pimped pub-bike look, hahaha. :p

Back