Frame or bits ? what makes the bike ?

The bit I get a little vague on is the forks on a hardtail. Lots of people would call them components while others would consider them part of the frameset.

The forks really make an enormous difference.

NO, its the whole thing.

I often muse that pretty much every part on a bike is a crucial part (of course). Without xx it wont work etc.

The ride is then what you make of it (often). An example i have used before is that i enjoyed dh on my rts 3 with deore lx parts and a dodgy pivot and brakes that barely wokred more so than my club roost with 8'' either end and disc brakes/x9 gearing.

cyfa2809":177scq2v said:
NO, its the whole thing.

I often muse that pretty much every part on a bike is a crucial part (of course). Without xx it wont work etc.

The ride is then what you make of it (often). An example i have used before is that i enjoyed dh on my rts 3 with deore lx parts and a dodgy pivot and brakes that barely wokred more so than my club roost with 8'' either end and disc brakes/x9 gearing.

So it was the RTS frame that made it special/tolerable ?
Exactly; it's the frame.

Always the frame, by and large its the only part you choose because it fits you (if you know what your doing of course). The rest as long as its in keeping with the design of the bike you can live with.

suburbanreuben":t38ewukn said:
Exactly; it's the frame.

No the rts was absolutely bone shakingly terrible. A bit of a deathtrap if you will.

cyfa2809":3q49a2qj said:
suburbanreuben":3q49a2qj said:
Exactly; it's the frame.

No the rts was absolutely bone shakingly terrible. A bit of a deathtrap if you will.
So why did you prefer it?
Why did you mention the frame before any other components?

Maybe it was the LX brakes that made it so much fun...?

I think your right. Lx cantis. So on the verge of death is most enjoyable.
Ergo, its the brakes that make or brake a ride.

Many years ago either MTB Pro or MBUK put 200GS on a Merlin and XTR on an Emmelle (or similar) to answer this very question. ISTR neither was very satisfactory but the top-end kit was no more able to elevate the gaspipe frame to greatness than the cheap stuff was able to diminish the titanium loveliness ;)

Back