Rear Shock Replacement for 1995 KONA SEX TOO

Due to the design of the shock rocker or whatever it's called it is quite a hard shock to replace as it has one end trunion? not sure that's the correct word.

What has happened to the original shock?

Long answer....
The original rear shock is still working fine. 17 years and counting. I am planning to start riding it a lot more and was hoping to find a spare or source for a replacement. Everything else on the bike is in excelent condition, and easily replacable. Bought it new in 95 and rode a lot for 3-4 years...then kids, work....got back into road biking first and now want to get muddy again. I'm also planning a 600 mile mtn bike trip next summer. To do that I am going to make some custom frame packs for the KONA. Trying to guage weather or not I should invest the time into the bike or start saving for something newer/hard tail for long rides like that.

Short answer ...
I love the bike and want to keep it going. Seals and service are not available that I can find.

Attachments

• 1995_KONA_SEX_TOO.JPG
    1995_KONA_SEX_TOO.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 1,000
Looks very original except that the forks have been painted black to match the rear. I honestly think you will find it hard to replace the shock without replacing the mount first, and is it really worth it?

I have one very similar and the rear shock looks fine; mine has lots of battle scars and I thought at first the rear shock was no good but a new valve and core and it pumped up a treat and holds air (on road so far).

By the way, do you have a very long seat post?, as it is an aluminium frame your seatpost needs to have a good bit of length inside the frame to protect it from cracking. Yours looks very high

All original except ...
XT V brakes added in 1997,
new bar and grips last week (still have original flat bar),
new black paint on fork this week.

Yes, it is a very very long seat post. Plenty in the frame. The black ring is from a back light bracket that I broke off last fall. If you look close you can also see the seat is too far back. I've got long legs and the frame is probably an inch small for me. Oh well. One more reason to think about a different bike.

The rear shock has never caused any problems. Just thinking about the long rides I have planned in the middle of nowhere and wondering about taking off on an old bike. Thought about upgrading or having a replacement available if possible, but that is not looking likely. So, also thinking about selling it and getting a hard tail. Tough decision.

as it is an aluminium frame your seatpost needs to have a good bit of length inside the frame

True of any bike, not just aluminium. Although if that one's not broken by now it's a good sign :)

You could get new linkage plates made up to accommodate a modern shock with standard mountings, but it'd be a bit of a faff.

EndorphineJunkie":1gs5x1xa said:
Does anybody know of or have a good replacement rear shock for a 1995 KONA SEX TOO ?

Thanks

I created an account just to reply. I hope you are still in need of this info... but not sure if this will help you completely. Anywho... here goes...

I had this bike back around '97 or so. Rear shock went bad. This was before I had internet so I went to the local bike shop. They said they could not get a replacement... and didn''t know how to fix. They said I'd probably have to get one custom made and they gave me a number to Reese Racing (I think that's the name) who I thought was a motorcycle parts mfgr. I can't remember exactly... but I know the name was Reese or Reece.

Anywho... I shipped the old busted one to them and they made a new one similar but different and returned both the old and new about a month later. Charged me about $225 I think. It did not "pump" like the original but worked like a charm... guess it was some sort of coiling piston shock thingy. I never really cared how it was made as long as it worked... and it worked perfectly.

Like I said... it looked almost the same.

You could call them. I doubt they would remember me, and probably have not made another one since, so it would probably have to be treated like an original custom made even though they have already made one.

I don't know if it would help in your search withing their company records but my name is Frederic (Ted) Carlson, I lived in Amherst Mass at the time. I think I had the shock shipped to the bike store there in the same town... right on main street... forgot the name though.

This got me fired up. I may look into a retro sex too frame and build one from scratch.

Latest posts

Back