Perry Allsop Softride

MiniNinjaRob

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
OK guys, summat a bit different this time!

This isn't mine exactly but It has been in my possession for nearly a year now.

Bought the frame off eBay a while back and it had never been used. OR it had been resprayed with new decals - hard to tell. The carbon beam itself shows signs of use but hardly any. Also - it's set up for V-brakes but I had a similar orange Allsop which seemed to be almost identical to this one which took canti brakes SO this could have had the canti stop removed and guides put in for V-brakes. Any ideas?

Anyone have any idea who Perry is? Framebuilder? Shop?

Only have one pic at the moment...

ae586d17.jpg

Aim is to build it up with whatever components are to hand, but to make it really really nice to ride. On it at the moment:

LX hubs (the nice matt grey ones, can't remember model number) on Mavic X517 rims
Avid V-brakes
XT levers
NOS Sram SRT600 gripshift
NOS Tioga flat bars
New tyres (modern sorry)
DX rear mech with red bolts
LX bluish chainset
Dia-compe 1" Aheadset
Ritchey 1" aheadstem

Looking for a front mech to fit - BP 31.8mm needed please!

I do have some issues with the build so will need some help.

I do believe the stem is going to have to go to the Softride suspension stem. They are based out of Seattle/Bellingham Washington. I have had a couple of there products in the past and I think if you look hard enough you can find a threadless stem. Definately looks like a decal was applied after because "Perry" doesn't sound familiar. Could've been branded differently in the UK. Good Luck with build!

That's undeniably cool rob!......I would be scared to ride it though, given I'm a fat'un!...... :roll:

Nice to see something different. I bought one of the aftermarket softride kits on here a while back but so far have not found a suitable frame to mount it on. Might have to get on with it just to see how it all hangs together.

I love the look of soft rides but have always been put off by their limited weight capacity for the rider

Never heard of Perry but it looks very clean

Chickenball":bq4rybme said:
I do believe the stem is going to have to go to the Softride suspension stem. They are based out of Seattle/Bellingham Washington. I have had a couple of there products in the past and I think if you look hard enough you can find a threadless stem. Definately looks like a decal was applied after because "Perry" doesn't sound familiar. Could've been branded differently in the UK. Good Luck with build!

The friend who actually owns this bike (although he's never seen it!) has a NOS Allsop Softride stem. It was on his other Allsop when he bought it new but they don't have a great reputation - the bushes wear and they go sloppy quite fast. They are also spectacularly heavy!!

sylus":28cabcv8 said:
I love the look of soft rides but have always been put off by their limited weight capacity for the rider

Never heard of Perry but it looks very clean

AFAIK the weight limit is 12 stone. I think slightly more if its on a road bike as they'll be less stress on it compared to off-road.

12 stones?.....think I will give it a miss then!....I don't fancy watching my twig and berries on the snapped end of that!..... :shock:

Back