Retro Re-Build "another one"

Archster

Dirt Disciple
Hello to all, I am of course new to the forum so all criticism eagerly anticipated ?

First of all if this thread goes on a tad then I apologise in advance,

In an attempt to re kindle my love affair with road biking I am after a Raleigh TI frame and I'm looking at bedecking it with everything new,
The spec I am after is everything Campag with Mavic rims, cineplex bars and stem or maybe a one piece combo in carbon ?

My heart is telling me to go down the NOS Campag route but to enjoy riding it I think I may well require the shifters on the brakes as opposed to on the frame ?

My biggest problem having been away from road bikes for so long I haven't got a clue what fits what ?
I'm looking on eBay and can see stems but I don't know what length ? Quill ? Dia etc ? Likewise bottom bracket, thread size etc,
I don't want this to put me off but I'm banging my head against a wall !

My last road bikes were a Raleigh 531 radnourd I think ?
And a freddy grubb track frame,
I'm he'll bent on a red black and yellow TI frame set as this was the bike to be seen on when I was a lad,
I'm fast approaching 40 and would like to celebrate by knocking something up that will inspire me to ride it !

Thanks in advance,

Sounds like a good plan breaking out :) Personally though, I'd look out for a complete bike you might find a good deal off here. Then you can use it and upgrade if and as needed. If you're looking to build and buy all or most of the components off Ebay you'll probably end up paying twice what you should be able to pick up a decent bike for.

The irony is there's a few people profiteering from stripping bikes and selling the parts on Ebay. Quite a few bikes are worth more as parts on Ebay than they are as a complete bike. Then people buy a frame and eventually all the parts off Ebay to build it back up again :roll:

Having said all that, there's a load of TI parts here :)
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=214835

Back