stubborn stem removal techniques?

foz

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I've now got a stem that's decided it doesn't want to move... I can loosen and remove the bolt, but the wedge won't budge, even after giving the bolt a few good whacks with a hammer. It's had a lot of penetrating oil in at both ends and still won't shift. I know the usual method of removing a seized stem is to take a hacksaw to it, but before I do does anyone have any other ideas?

thanks, Andy

A full kettle of boiling water and then a tap with the hammer worked for me! The heat makes the metal expand slightly and breaks the bond between the aloy wedge and the steel of the fork just enough to move the wedge. Give it a go. Nothing to loose.....

I've never had any luck with coca cola, but the hot water trick might be worth a try, I'll give it a go this weekend!

thanks!

+1 for boiling water I've had it work on a few seat posts. Best way is with 2 of you, one to apply some tension by twisting and hold the stem, then the other dumps a full kettle of boiling water up and down the headtube. Keep the tension on and if its going to work you'll feel it pop. As soon as you have a bit of movement gets loads of WD40 on it and it should twist out. Good Luck :)

thinking about it, I assume the theory behind the hot water method is that since the aluminium of the stem will expand more than the steel of the wedge, that it will pop the wedge out? It will also cause the stem to expand within the steerer tube, making it even harder to get out. I guess once it cools again then it should release itself from the steerer. It's stuck fast as it is though, so I have nothing to lose anyway - if it doesn't work I'll still have to cut it out!

The expansion is minimal but sometimes just enough the break the corrosion bond between the two metals. Once you have some movement, it will come out. Eventually :)

tried all the above on one bike a while ago , ended up having to cut stem so i could get forks seperated from frame then had to drill stem out , very messy but well worth it in the end

Plus gas is my friend. I apply and leave and apply again. When I think its ready then I attempt removal witth a rubber mallet if I need. If no sucess. More plus gas and more patience. It seems to work for me anyway.

I had no luck with hot water the other day, so started with the hacksaw. I got about 25% through the stem, and the saw broke (not the blade, the saw!). Once I get another one I'll finish the job!

Back