bolt size help

stem bolts and bar clamp tend to be m5; the headset cap is m6.

i'd would think serioulsy of fitting ti (not doen it yet but many have) to stem - alloy bolts are definitely a no-no.
th_AnimatedGIF-SmileyHittingSelfwBat.gif

Bolts are best specified by outside diameter of thread x thread pitch. Thread pitch for metric bolts is how many mm between threads.
So M6x1.25 is 6mm outer diameter with 1.25mm between the threads.
Thread pitch is possible to measure by counting the threads in say, 25mm of bolt then dividing 25mm/number of threads. Or you can get a thread gauge which you mesh with the threads, like this
Thread-Pitch-Gauge.jpg

Like the others say, Alu bolts in your stem aren't a good idea other than possibly your top cap. Ti is miles better but watch out for corrosion - Alu and Ti galvanicaly corrode really badly together

eastsidebikes":jujqqa2c said:
Bolts are best specified by outside diameter of thread x thread pitch. Thread pitch for metric bolts is how many mm between threads.
So M6x1.25 is 6mm outer diameter with 1.25mm between the threads.

There is actually no such preferred size as M6 x1.25mm, though I know this was just an example.

M6 and M7 will be 1mm pitch as will M8 fine, M8 coarse being 1.25mm.

so...

NO ALLOY BOLTS IN A STEM!

Top cap bolt is fine in alloy though, as are the cable clamp bolts on your mechs (M5), band clamp bolt on front mech (M5), pivot bolt on rear mech (eg SRP), shifter mount clamp bolts (generally M6).

If your stem bolts are the same size as your disc calipers bolts, then they are M6.

eastsidebikes":2u2bmuyk said:

I thought it was the depth of the threa rather than the distance between. So for internal threads you can measure the internal hole (including the thread) and then take an educated guess, so if your hole is metric and 8.75mm wide, its going to be an M10x1.25 thread. Useful if you can get a verier caliper or a hole guage in, but not a thread guage. Just measure it accurately.

Dead Rats":drdodvnq said:
:!:

gold ano bolts in a stem?

:!:

PANIC

Just had to go back and check my ebay history.....
Phew, just another senior moment..... i got gold ti after all ;)

G

Back