Watts vs lumens

suburbanreuben":agjgse8y said:
Did you see the previous page Anthony?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lumicycle/
I didn't actually, thanks for that, but nevertheless the halogen results still seem quite competitive - the 12 spot plus 20 flood actually gives the best illumination of any of those lights, perhaps equalled only by the LED4 flood on boost. Admittedly, they only lasted for an hour and a half at 32w output, but even so retro lights don't seem to be quite as out-classed as I had thought.

If you want to keep your old system you could try this guy

http://www.mtbbatteries.co.uk/

He posts a bit on STW, seems well respected. AFAIK he could supply batteries for your existing lights. I also like the look of the new light he has coming.

Much warmer tint from those halogens too. I'm impressed with how they seem to perform from the photos. I had a cheap 10w/5w setup about 7 years ago and it was rubbish.

One area where things have got exponentially better over the last ten years.

You can basically kit out for night riding for twenty bucks nowadays, if you are prepared to do a bit of molly coddling in terms of proofing and making battery connections and brackets more robust, etc.

Roll on spring though, I still hate night riding unless it is under a silver moon, star lit night.

not asking to be spoonfed (i am really) but how would i go about finding a decent set up for the low low prices you are talking about? i'm really trying to get back into riding after a long child and illness related hiatus, but night and dawn riding are my only options for winter rides. rear visibilty isnt an issue as i'll not be riding on any roads for more than 15 seconds, but seeing in from of me at speed in the woulds would be awesome.

Check out the ebay lights thread, knocking about somewhere.

You can buy four high output lights, shove two on the bike and two on yer hat.

Enough light to see a stick being shaken at it.

:)

Depends what ones you get, some are really pretty watertight already.

I sheath mine in old tubes for added protection.

And the lights.

:)

Thats the one. Look at the later pages as the lights talked about there are brighter than in the earlier pages.

Latest posts

Back