2nd hand disc brakes

well, as luck would have it, I managed to source a matching set for my existing mini mono. v lucky indeed really, as my budget got stretched way thinner than i thought by external factors.

should have them installed this weekend, so looking forward to testing (and break/braking)

Sketchyxup":897glbgz said:
cant beleive no one has mentioned Shimano, the 2-pot deores are brilliant but any of the range really.

I did. Brand new from Rose Bikes they are thirty odd quid an end plus rotors. If I like the XT's (once they're back in stock) it'll be bye bye M4's on the Lopes and hello Deore discs.

That shop has some pretty good prices! thanks for the point.

If I hadn't sourced the other brake for similar money i would be looking there!

Mindmap3":3136ivzv said:
Sketchyxup":3136ivzv said:
cant beleive no one has mentioned Shimano, the 2-pot deores are brilliant but any of the range really.

I did. Brand new from Rose Bikes they are thirty odd quid an end plus rotors. If I like the XT's (once they're back in stock) it'll be bye bye M4's on the Lopes and hello Deore discs.

Got a link for those by any chance ? had a poke about on the site but couldn't see them.

B77":31pv0qat said:
Mindmap3":31pv0qat said:
Sketchyxup":31pv0qat said:

Got a link for those by any chance ? had a poke about on the site but couldn't see them.

Here you go mate - all of the brakes they have

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/products/bik ... sc-brakes/

£35 for Deores! They are quick to post as well - as a comparison my cassette and chain only cost marginally more to post from Germany than my Howies top did from Wales and barely took any longer!

You'll need to add rotors too, but the SLX ones are pretty cheap at around £15 each.

One thing to watch on Rose Bikes is that its a Euro site, so left hand front, right hand rear.

What are the Maguras like? I have just got a Deore front for £25 and I'm going to team that up (hopefully) with LX dual control levers (both front and rear, going up to 9 speed in the process). But I'm now also looking at the Maguras. Seem to be some good prices on Louise and Clara discs. What are they like? Especially the Claras as they seem to be the cheaper version.

If I could afford it I'd have Maguras on all my bikes, they just work, not touched the Marta SLs on the Gemini for years apart from a pad change, some people don't like the lever action, there is quite a bit of travel before the brakes kick in around 1/3 of the total travel but the modulation is fantastic. Got Raceline rim brakes on the Cinder Cone, they work very well too. i don't wish to appear a Magura fanboy but most of the others I've tried Avid, Hayes and Tektro (?) don't cut it for the type of riding I do. Whether this is because they use brake fluid instead of mineral oil they seem to get quite bad fade. The Shimano Saints on the Stinky use mineral oil too and they work very well. Of course this is just my opinion, others will differ.

I'm not sure the Magura brakes are the most powerful things out there looking at tests etc,but I've never used them so can't comment.

I though DOT fluid was better at resisting heat based fade than mineral oil, the downside is it absorbs water and is corrosive. When I went to Morzine and Les Gets, my Hayes with sintered were the only brakes to to struggle. My mates M4's were dire.

Back