Original 1940s Claude Butler

Helen Field

Retro Newbie
Can someone give me some advice please?
My father had an original Claude Butler road bike dating back to the late 40s. It was originally built for Rory Obrien his then works manager, my father was the same height and weight and bought it off him in the late 40s I believe, he used to race his bike and also took it up the Pyrenees. It is in poor but original state and needs work but has all the original frame, seat gears etc. Hubby wants to skip it... I was wondering if it was worth keeping and if I posted pictures would it be worth renivating? Thank you for any advice/ whether it is worth anything etc. [/b]

Welcome to the forum.

They'll be someone along in a bit who will be able to give you some sound advice, but please do not, not, NOT skip the bike. Even if it has little monetary value, it would be a tragedy to lose a bike with both factory and family history.

SKIP IT!!!!!?????

:shock: :shock:

Never! If the frame is still sound - and even if it isn't - there are plenty of people who will gladly relieve you of it. It's a historic item of cycling memorabilia and should be saved.

Helen Field":27l66z4q said:
Can someone give me some advice please?
My father had an original Claude Butler road bike dating back to the late 40s. It was originally built for Rory Obrien his then works manager, my father was the same height and weight and bought it off him in the late 40s I believe, he used to race his bike and also took it up the Pyrenees. It is in poor but original state and needs work but has all the original frame, seat gears etc. Hubby wants to skip it... I was wondering if it was worth keeping and if I posted pictures would it be worth renivating? Thank you for any advice/ whether it is worth anything etc. [/b]

I've no knowledge of the value of a Claud Butler - I'm sure there are plenty of people on Retrobike who could help you out - but you may find the item below (and associated website) of interest before your hubby goes running out to the skip.

Claud Butler - King of Lightweights

You may have to make several more posts before you can start to upload photos. Good luck.

Post a pic.

And if you want to sell it, I'm sure there a few folk on here who'd give it another chance. Oh, and don't tell hubby how much it sold for! :)

A Claud Butler built for Rory O'Brien will certainly have value, although much better if you have some documented evidence or photo's of Rory's ownership.

It would be good to see some photo's to see its condition, sometimes 'poor' will clean up quite well. Its also more valuable if its all original :)

Thank you all so much for your help and advice. I will post some pictures of the frame. (Hubby threw away the wheels as they had rusted!!! He is now feeling very sick!

Back