Converting Tourer to something a little more 'road race'

Sprunghub

Dirt Disciple
To begin - I have no idea of the geometry issues involved, although I'm guessing there are some - I have a Dawes Sardar 'Tourer', the "Go to Mongolia & back", earlier one with dropped handlebars & pannier hangers / rack etc. I bought it new in the dim & distant. My lad who is 16 has 'Wiggo'ism & has taken to riding it. It suits him well enough, but on it's 26" wheels with touring chain wheels it is not as lissome as my 'road' bike & I have an inkling to convert it - if I can - to be a little more long legged ?

The chain wheel/s are on a Shimano Deore Hollowtech I :? crank, 48T on the biggest wheel, with a Tiagra x 3 'mech' ?

I am hoping someone will have the know-how to tell me whether I can, without inviting a world of pain & lots of headaches, put 27" / 700 wheels on & a 52T chain wheel ?

If 'pitch', chain size, mech position etc. are going to make it technically beyond my capabilities - I won't bother & we'll consider doing a 'one out', 'one in'. :?

The cantilever brakes pretty much rule out a wheelsize change, unless you want a visit to a framebuilder. There might be enough clearence for 700c, but it'll alway be a bit of a bodge.

It'll look abit spindly, but you could just get some smaller/racier tyres for it.

If that's not enough, you could stick with 559mm, but upgrade the wheels/tyres/gear ratios, but it's probably not worth it.

I'd let him ride it as it is, or seek a trade-in/swap.

All the best,

I think it will be best to move it on :( I can't easily find any larger chain wheels, bigger than '40 somethings' for the front (4-arm fitting)

I am fairly sure he will end up on mine & I will end up on whatever comes in anyway :roll:

Thanks for the advice.

Back