campagnolo shamal Q's

retroracer

Dirt Disciple
Hi,
I am after a pair of 700c clincher, campagnolo shamal HPW titaniums!
were these ever produced as 16-hpw? If so how mutch should I pay for them? .... and do you rate them?!

Thank you,
James :D

I cannot tell you much but i was told the otherwise identical Vento had all steel hub internals whilst the Shamal had some lighter Ti parts.

latman":5vgzi2lb said:
I cannot tell you much but i was told the otherwise identical Vento had all steel hub internals whilst the Shamal had some lighter Ti parts.

Hi latman, thank you for your reply :)

James

Titanium Shamals are very sought after.. I remember 12 spokes for sure...
Can be an expensive purchase.

Personally, I wouldn't bother, as they have straight pull bladed spokes, if one had to pop, it would be rather difficult to find a suitable replacement.
If you like the look of deep section polished rims, there are alternatives which can be built in a more traditional way with J spokes.

In essence, they are a fashion thing... as deep section wheels they are rather pathetic, given the immense weight... they look great on some bikes, not all

ugo.santalucia":16fywbik said:
Titanium Shamals are very sought after.. I remember 12 spokes for sure...
Can be an expensive purchase.

Personally, I wouldn't bother, as they have straight pull bladed spokes, if one had to pop, it would be rather difficult to find a suitable replacement.
If you like the look of deep section polished rims, there are alternatives which can be built in a more traditional way with J spokes.

In essence, they are a fashion thing... as deep section wheels they are rather pathetic, given the immense weight... they look great on some bikes, not all

Hi ugo.santalucia,

Thank you for your reply, can you please recommend a replacement instead? Or any spokes to replace the old ones? Thank you,

James :)

ugo.santalucia":1e74zsrn said:

ha ha, I am a student on a budget of around 250! I was going to bid on a pair on eBay when the starting bid was £200, there were no bidders and then the seller changed the starting bid to £400 at the last min! :(

Thanks anyway!!
James.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Those shamels in the ebay link have J bend spokes.

For ~ £250 a pair of Kinlin XR300 could be build onto Novatec hubs 20F/24R with Sapim Race spokes or laser spokes depending on what hubs are used.

Using bladed spokes will push the cost up more.

Shamal HPW wheels started as 12 spoke F&R

Then they found that the rear wheel was not strong enough and made them 16-spoke rear, 12-spoke front.

They were never all that popular - as the Climb Dynamic wheels came out around the same time and the (as pointed out before) other Fluid Dynamic wheels like Vento were more attractive price-wise. So they are quite scarce. Also people did break them.......

Personally I thought they were too heavy, too uncomfortable and far too expensive (what is the point of Ti hardware in a wheel with such a heavy rim?).

bm0p700f":36i13p5r said:
Those shamels in the ebay link have J bend spokes.

For ~ £250 a pair of Kinlin XR300 could be build onto Novatec hubs 20F/24R with Sapim Race spokes or laser spokes depending on what hubs are used.

Using bladed spokes will push the cost up more.

Hi bm0p700f,

Thank you for the recommendation, have you ever heard of ‘Espresso wheels’ if so are they also any good? I know they are for fixies but can the back wheel be converted to work a 10 speed? I am after a set of wheels that are clinchers, have a deep profile that have a front ‘high flange hub’. They must also be suitable for climbing extreme hills. I know I am asking a lot! Thank you,

James.

Back