anyone here into airgun hunting for woodies and rabbits?

I hear ya..

Youngest 9 (7 y/o) wanted to shoot the rifle so I stood behind him and took the weight while he aimed and pulled the trigger.

Which was fine until he found out why you shouldn't be too close to the sight on a springer. At least the bruise was restricted to his forehead and didn't black his eye. :cool:

Haha, sort of, my mum did the same when I got my rifle, tucked her eye right into the scope AND nudged the 'bump' ring off.

Gotta be said, a hell of a lot of dick waving masculine shite being taliked in this thread. Sad little men up against big aggressive rabbits and pigeons :roll:
Gavinda, your kid sounds like he's going to grow up as a decent member of society....jesus.

In the UK rabbits are classed as vermin and it is the legal obligation of landowners to control the population.

Unfortunately, swinging ones dick at a rabbit is unlikely to have much effect.

Hmm don't you think if people didn't/hadn't kill/killed all the , Foxes, Martens, Buzzrds, Kites, Harriers, Stoats, Wildcats, Polecats, Weasels that the populations would control themselves ? Same as crow & magpie 'oh they raid songbird nests say the 'pest control' brigade. Farmers grubbed up the hedgerow the primary habitat of songbirds to increase field/yeilds, the woodlands the primary habitat of corvids were left alone.....lets shoot the farmers or better yet humans, after all we have reached epidemic proportions.
No matter what justifaction you give it you wouldn't kill animals or spend lots of money on kit if you didn't enjoy it.

B77":u1dnc2e2 said:
Hmm don't you think if people didn't/hadn't kill/killed all the , Foxes, Martens, Buzzrds, Kites, Harriers, Stoats, Wildcats, Polecats, Weasels.

People didn't and haven't killed all those species. At least not in the UK.

B77":u1dnc2e2 said:
Atter what justifaction you give it you would kill animals or spend lotads of money on kit if you didn't enjoy it.

Of course there is an element of 'pleasure' involved in shooting. But, for the morally intact and mature hunter, there is respect for the land and the prey.

Regardless of why rabbits (and other species but, for the purposes of this post let's stay with bunnies) have reached problematic numbers in certain regions, their control is legally required.
And, since the manmade myxamotosis failed epically (and is a really horrible disease), other methods are required.

Personally I prefer ferrets and dogs to shooting. Hunting with those methods are more black and white. The rabbit is either caught and dispatched or not. Seen a lot of rabbits shot in the head and body run off the field to die in the warren or undergrowth.

B77":24hxut4x said:
Gotta be said, a hell of a lot of dick waving masculine shite being taliked in this thread. Sad little men up against big aggressive rabbits and pigeons :roll:
Gavinda, your kid sounds like he's going to grow up as a decent member of society....jesus.

Pot kettle black YOUR FRENCH :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: decent member of society :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

If you dont like it DONT comment on the thread what a douche :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

B77- chill dude :D

No one here is talking of indiscriminate thrill killing.

I can't comment on the others, but for me, the only killing of animals is the pigeons that roost over my doorstep leaving what can only be described as a 'pigeon pat'. Which is pretty unhealthy for two very young children running barefoot in MY garden doing what kids do. No other animals are harmed and I make every effort to teach them respect for every living thing.

The comment about my boy was a comedic observation of how kids see the world. Though I would dearly love to dispose of the cats that choose to shit in my garden. I watched the neighbours cat yesterday cross the fence, squat and shit in my herb garden and then stroll back to his own turf.
What other 'pet' does that. I'm sure most dog owners wouldn't dare allow this, yet the verminous cats can stroll free :roll:

Yet all the measures I take against them are humane and not cruel.

Please don't comment further on my boy as you wouldn't dare say that to my face and don't see why 'e' posturing should be tolerated here.

Dunno, I'm not that comfortable shooting things that are alive and crawling about a field at night with a giant torch just ain't my bag but if it is legal its legal and ultimately I'm not a mad animal lover so I don't care. :D

I've had a full FAC for ages, some rifles, long barrel revolver and black powder/nitro guns so we shoot at Sennybridge army ranges at pop up men. It's usually cold, wet and not much fun, I wish I lived in Texas. Occasionally a sheep bites the dust but if you hit it you buy it!

I also have a set of now sadly banned Brocock air cartridge guns where keeping them down to 6 ft/lbs is the challenge. 500fps+ from a .22 out of a 4 inch barrel in the living room is all too much, even in the garden I just fear the neighbors so they sit in the safe most of the time :(

I'm pretty sure you can only shoot in your garden if you are 50 feet from the centre of a public highway which most won't be. Garden shooting is iffy because if you pop even a freak ricochet into next doors garden then you are going to have a hard time justifying the security of your backstop. Being such a heavily persecuted sport we don't need bad anymore press :(

The only people who ever understand shooting are shooters, be it target or vermin, normal folk never consider it a sport and just think your mental; bit like retro biking really :p

Magsy":2eswk8m7 said:
I'm pretty sure you can only shoot in your garden if you are 50 feet from the centre of a public highway which most won't be.

Quite correct on the law but I'm not convinced most won't be. I live on a housing estate and am easily 50ft from the road (or path).

I used to shoot with people who'd park on the side of the road and shoot .22 rimfire into fields. They probably still do. And the law aren't interested.

Back