Seatpost mounted bike racks - opinions please

twain

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
i have a rather cumbersome bike rack i inherited off an old raleigh frame. i hate fitting it, so these seatpost mounted racks are rather appealing.
i know they don't take as much weight, but i'll only be using it for my rack bag with a change of clothes and my lunch box in it :)

anyone using one of these? are they up to much?

this is the most expensive one i've found (only searched on ebay so far):

0006199_topeak_rx_beam_rack_1.jpeg

this is a cheap version:

Delta%20Mega%20Rack%20Post%20Porter%20Seat%20Post%20Rack%20with%20Pannier%20Support.jpeg

i need one with the wheel guard as i only have a rack bag that hangs.

don't talk to me about backpacks. i've been using one for years and suffer from a very sweaty back and would love to free myself from its clutches! just been a little lazy about sorting it out :?

I'll bump this for ya...as I am interested in these as well. My '88 era frame doesn't have rack mounts and i'll be needing panniers early next year and would love to know how good these are.

The other year a group of us did C2C (Coast 2 Coast) a mate had one fitted on his Speccy. It actually looked more stable than conventionally mounted racks, no movement like some do, deffo seemed more ridgid.

They are very good for relatively light loads like, for example, lightweight tents or clothing.
Too much weight may make your bike unstable due to the high centre of gravity and could put excessive stress on your seatpost and seattube.

They are also good for off road and rough trails, where similarly priced conventional racks can be a bit flexible and wobbly.

I've used one for overnight Polaris events to carry my tent and sleeping bag all within a dry bag.
It all makes a good mudguard too.

I wouldn't bother with the ones with side extensions as they only encourage overloading.
If you need the extra capacity then it's probably better to go for a conventional style rack.

yup, got one on my commuter bike and it works a charm.

Got mine from the cheap bikes bit in Tesco, was about 15quids, aluminium, sturdy and carries everthing i need it too.

I found the quick realease was difficult to get it to clamp tight enough with so replaced it with a bolt and it never budges.

Deffo worth a look if you're after one, tbh i dont know how it coul be better.

i only need it for commuting, so a change of clothes plus shoes some times and a bit of lunch is all that needs packing. pretty sure it wont exceed the 12kg max load limit!

i only need it for commuting, so a change of clothes plus shoes some times and a bit of lunch is all that needs packing. pretty sure it wont exceed the 12kg max load limit!

Why not look at a brooks/carradice combo? I can get tons in mine and there are quite a few sizes out there. eBay bargains may be had too!

i've already got a bag, just wanted a rack that isn't so clumsy to fit as i have a child seat that i use periodically (the clamp for this is attached to the seat tube). a rack that fits to the seat post is ideal as this could be removed easily should i decide to take the boy out :)

edit: and there is the added bonus of attaching it to my full susser :)

thanks for the opinions though chaps, helpful as always :)

Back