Old frame, new parts - Your thoughts

I have a classic British frame set from the early 1970's. About 5 years ago I tried to satisfy my desire for a new bike by modernizing it with new Shimano derailleurs, shifting brake levers, modern seat, new Look pedals. For me the bike lost all its character. I ended up getting a new bike and the classic, it's now in process of a total period restoration. It is about 90% complete, pix soon.

I have a classic British frame set from the early 1970's. About 5 years ago I tried to satisfy my desire for a new bike by modernizing it with new Shimano derailleurs, shifting brake levers, modern seat, new Look pedals. For me the bike lost all its character. I ended up getting a new bike and the classic, it's now in process of a total period restoration. It is about 90% complete, pix soon.

I've got a 1955 Viking Allrounder Junior that I'm looking to convert into a single speed, lightweight (it's small) daily commuter...just need to source some nice 26" wheels and all the other bits!

curyam":2ge3rnou said:

I have to say that I agree with you. I think there are certain styles of frames that just would not look right with modern running gear, although I'm not sure if it's age related.

Just built a Cinelli with all new bits:

unica9.jpg

I think as long as it is done sympathetically there is no problem.

I've a clubmate who is building up a Giro pink Moser with 11 speed Athena.

Ohh nice! That's a Precision isn't it?

I think it would update well, provided the basic frame is OK. Even well cared for Kirk's can fall to bits.

Latest posts

Back