Disc brake adjustment...going mad!!

the wheel moving due to spoke tension doesn't explain why the disc is moving too.

As for my suspicion regarding flex, I see a bridge near the bottom mount. That should be sufficient, so I'm out of ideas.

Still, a new set of bearings (I saw one for £70-ish on eBay last night) could help with the swingarm problem. If that's solved at least we can find out if that caused the brake issue too.

...hmmm my theory with the spoke tension was if some were tighter than others then it would allow the wheel to flex more than if they were all equally loose/tight...

...as for the swingarm I could try to change the bearings but would rather not spend £70+ without needing to! Has anyone had any experience of dismantling the linkage the nuts are hard to get to with a spanner especially the rear lower one!

the wheel rim can flex all it likes but that can't be the cause of your brake rub since the disc rotor is attached to the hub.

you checked you do not have play in the hub bearings? loosenes there will also result in side to side rim movement.

02gf74":3lm5b4u1 said:
the wheel rim can flex all it likes but that can't be the cause of your brake rub since the disc rotor is attached to the hub.

you checked you do not have play in the hub bearings? loosenes there will also result in side to side rim movement.

Hmmm I'm not so sure...surely if the spokes are unevenly tightend and are too tight in places this would allow the wheel to flex and carry that down the the hub/axle and potentially twist the hub? Therefore affecting the disc alinement also....surely the forces pulling on the hub through the spokes would have some impact?

And no movement in the hub bearings all running sweetly...

cyfa2809":24bjycs8 said:
I have had a buckled wheel cause a warp in rotor before.

I guess it is possibly a case of cumulative error? Wasnt a massive warp and disappeared when trued.

have you contacted Marin to see what they suggest?

googling that model of bike, the swingarm stiffness or lack of is mentioned a lot.

cyfa2809":30hhd0n1 said:
I have had a buckled wheel cause a warp in rotor before.

On the flip side......I broke 4 spokes and rode 12 miles back to the car with the tyre hitting the frame and the disc didn't warp!

Back