nutted brakes

retro-rich

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Can anyone link me to some dual pivot nutted brakes standard reach in silver please (I currently have some allen key fit 39-49mm which seem to fit ok drop wise).

If these aren't around anymore I guess it's a case of drilling the frame :(

Occasionally you find some on Ebay... they are terrible in terms of braking performance, really awful. I ended up drilling the frame... the fork is an easy job, the bridge is a bit trickier if it's a narrow tube

If you get a second front brake for the rear the bolt should be long enough to pass through the bridge and take a nut on the back...

gavr":1r0ycf3g said:
If you get a second front brake for the rear the bolt should be long enough to pass through the bridge and take a nut on the back...

I've done this a couple of times successfully along with a drilled fork for the front brake, but as was pointed out to me it routes the cable on the other side

Dead Rats":ivg2msfn said:
gavr":ivg2msfn said:

I've done this a couple of times successfully along with a drilled fork for the front brake, but as was pointed out to me it routes the cable on the other side

Yes along with a drilled fork. It shouldn't change the cable routing - most bikes have the cable clamp on opposite sides of the bike so rotating a front brake to the back will do the same thing...

gavr":hqqyzmk7 said:
Dead Rats":hqqyzmk7 said:
gavr":hqqyzmk7 said:

Yes along with a drilled fork. It shouldn't change the cable routing - most bikes have the cable clamp on opposite sides of the bike so rotating a front brake to the back will do the same thing...

I may be getting mixed up now the bike is not here! I couldn't give a monkeys anyway really, as both the bikes I fitted them to were cheap steelies (customised so stopping power trumped 'wrong' cable routing)! Dual pivots are loads better than sidepulls IMO

It's these that I have : http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tektro-tektr ... prod22252/

I have the option to return these if needed, if I can find nutted alternatives. I bought them by mistake, I'd also bought a set of nutted one's from LBS which he said would fit and turned out to be too big, going to flog those as already took one off the packaging - so you can see I've had some fun with this one :)

What about one of these - http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tektro-tektr ... prod24266/ it suggests that you use the new front on the rear as already mention up the thread, and put this bolt on the rear to become the front - if you get my drift....anyone ever used one??

There is one on Spa too with the bolt and washers http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php ... 0s100p2341

They are going on a Record Ace to replace the original Weinmanns, the bike is going to my brother and I'd rather it had some half decent brakes on it, can always keep the weinmanns in case they are wanted in the future.

I don't think cable routing should be an issue as it comes off the top tube around the seat tube so can go either side.

Back