Advice

forthelulz

Retro Newbie
Hi wasn't too sure where to post this, just joined after discovering this site, and thought it was brilliant.

Was just wandering, im looking to restore an older bike like 70/80s and was just wandering if you can recommend a first time restoration project, what kind of frame to recommend? Im not looking to spend too much on the frame but would like a semi decent one which would be ideal for:

Turning into a single speed bike with a flip flop, so i can use it as a fixie as well..

Just need the bike for cycling round town and uni, something cheap but can be made to look decent through restoration.

cheers in advance!!!

forthelulz":xa1tdsvj said:
Hi wasn't too sure where to post this, just joined after discovering this site, and thought it was brilliant.

Was just wandering, im looking to restore an older bike like 70/80s and was just wandering if you can recommend a first time restoration project, what kind of frame to recommend? Im not looking to spend too much on the frame but would like a semi decent one which would be ideal for:

Turning into a single speed bike with a flip flop, so i can use it as a fixie as well..

Just need the bike for cycling round town and uni, something cheap but can be made to look decent through restoration.

cheers in advance!!!

I also have/found my dads old Bianchi Mountain Bike, about 20 years old from 1988-1992... which i might restore as gears are fucked.. what do you think?

Your main thing is to get something with horizontal rear dropouts, or youll have problems getting the chain length accurate.

Y282":101ke5fv said:
Your main thing is to get something with horizontal rear dropouts, or youll have problems getting the chain length accurate.

its easy to do , if i can do it you should be able to . it helps if you have a good lbs to build and dish wheels to suit frame .

biggs682":3gbfh5o2 said:
Y282":3gbfh5o2 said:

its easy to do , if i can do it you should be able to . it helps if you have a good lbs to build and dish wheels to suit frame .
I know what im looking for in the bike, just not sure what kind of bike as i have not much idea which road bikes are good for restoring and converting into a single speed. Im just looking for a lightweight frame that i can build upon really, i know reynolds 351 are common frames material arent they?

so far i have looked at:
BATAVUS
Raleigh clubman
Look KG

i am tihnking of doing my Bianchi mountain bike up, 20yr old in alright condition apart from gears.

Hello,

Those three bikes you mentioned all seem quite different from each other.

Raleigh Clubman is a touring bike that will be comfortable and stable, suited
for longer rides and commuting.

LOOK KG is a racing machine.

Batavus are well made Dutch bikes - but they are a bit like the Dutch Raleigh in that they make all kinds of bikes. So it depends what model you are looking at.
I like Dutch and Belgian bikes because they generally don't have the same hype as French, Italian and British bikes, and are therefore often a bit cheaper for similar quality.

Another suggestion is just to buy the cheapest ridable thing you can and cut your teeth on repairing and restoring that. That way it won't matter so much if you make any mistakes, and you can always move onto something nicer if you decide you like it. That's what I did, and I now have a cellar full of about 15 different projects at various different stages.

Good luck,

Johnny

Johnsqual":3gfvthz3 said:
Hello,

Those three bikes you mentioned all seem quite different from each other.

Raleigh Clubman is a touring bike that will be comfortable and stable, suited
for longer rides and commuting.

LOOK KG is a racing machine.

Batavus are well made Dutch bikes - but they are a bit like the Dutch Raleigh in that they make all kinds of bikes. So it depends what model you are looking at.
I like Dutch and Belgian bikes because they generally don't have the same hype as French, Italian and British bikes, and are therefore often a bit cheaper for similar quality.

Another suggestion is just to buy the cheapest ridable thing you can and cut your teeth on repairing and restoring that. That way it won't matter so much if you make any mistakes, and you can always move onto something nicer if you decide you like it. That's what I did, and I now have a cellar full of about 15 different projects at various different stages.

Good luck,

Johnny

Thanks, genuinely i haven't got much idea about older racing bikes, thats why Im coming on here for some advice. Id just take anything i could find at the moment, as just want a cheap commuter which is light weight and decent frame that i can restore to a decent condition with some new parts etc. Im not really looking at a touring bike as i have ridden them before and never felt 100% comfortable.

What can you say about the Look KG, any ideas what they are worth?

Look KG was (is?) a full range of racing bikes so price depends on the exact model, as well as condition and so on. If it's one of the carbon fibre ones you need to check the condition very carefully if you're planning to ride it. They seem to be collectable, with some going for serious prices on ebay. It depends what you want it for - possibly too nice and too valuable to be a regular commuter bike.

Back