Soulcraft 29er updates

I like it and I'm very anti big wheels, but that manages to look right. I've got to admit some of the new big wheelers are starting to look much better. I even got excited about one of the new Trek jobbies and thought about getting it through the bike to work scheme, but it's a bit expensive.

Thanks guys,

The Soulcraft is a joy to ride, and especially shines in some of the twisty woodland singletracks we have here. I'm hapy how it works with the 36t up front for 1x10, smallest front ring I have tried so far. And I have changed the black Thomson for a silver Hope stem by now so must make some fresh pictures.

As for the question on which 29er is my favorite, The next one I guess :cool:.
Or my first, no, no the last one.... It is like picking my favorite child, I can't.

My bikes are built up around a frame that somehow captures my imagination. I love steel and titanium and the smaller builders, but there's other flavors in the shed too. A lot depends on what I stumble on in e-bay and the likes of the RB for sale section. But ost importantly they must give me a big smile out on the trails.

Enjoy!!

Re: Does your bike have SOUL ??

The Soulcraft saw loan service last month for a mate who's 575 was up for a bearing service. And for sure it lured yet another avid biker over to the "dark side" of big wheeled bikes. Mate now looking to score a steel 29er hardtail as acompanion to his Yeti. So when it was returned to me today I treated it to some updates that I had in planned for a while. Will be taking her out on the group ride tomorrow:

Tan walls by Onza:
onza3.jpg

Luv Handles by Rody
onza7.jpg

Silver stem by Hope
onza2.jpg

Onza1.jpg

Enjoy!!

That is very cool - I think I am being convinced by this big wheel lark after the HONC today!

After showing in the botm and some typical Dutch XC riding the Soulcraft grew on me more and more. So much so it is my bike of choice to take along for this nears holiday trip to the Austrian Alps in Leogang. This did prompt some not so subbtle set-up changes to cope with the riding conditions.

Firstly I changed the 80mm Tower forks for an otherwise identical 100mm model. The Manitou is still the best for slender crowns to fit classic steel frames. And for this trip I fitted an extra frim ride kit. After enquiring by email about spring rates Randy of Manitou tech support sent me a tuning spring free of charge across the pond, that is some service. The tuning helps to set up the forks also for high speed hits and light downhill duties in the Leogang BikePark.
Secondly, I fitted my XX1 set with a 28t front ring to give me some sensible climbing gears for the long Alpine Ascents. Since XX1 requires a special cassette driver the wheels were changed too. And the tanwall Onza's did not swap over, I hate to faff about with the sealant in the tubeless set-up. So this is what the result looks like:

Schwarzleo2.jpg

And I am happy to say it performs brilliantly.
Schwarzleo3.jpg

Now 5 days in Austria I mostly ride the cross country loops using pedal power to gain altitude. Noote the majority of riders here are on 6 and more inches full suspension bikes doing uplifts. On a quiet day I also rode the switchbacks and downhill bumps of the Hangman II trail in the bikepark and that is a ton of fun. It did prompt one more change, I fitted a quick release seat collar to easily lower the seat.
The 100mm forks turned out to be a good move. The Soulcraft is designed around 100mm, but notably Manitou's have 10mm more A-C than e.g. Fox and RS. Back home I loved the tight handling with the 80mm forks on the twisty Dutch singletracks weaving through the trees. But here the speeds are at the extremes of the scale, going up slowly or down fast. And with less of the weaving twisties, more 180° steeply banked switchbacks and the likes. Well, the Soulcraft feels absolutely planted in all riding conditions thrown at it and the steering is intuitive, confidence inspiring. I do slow down appropriately for my age and skill level in the conditions, but never felt out of my depth or out of control on the bike.

Enjoy!!

IMG_42421.JPG

IbocProSX":3i2u6iaj said:
Well, the Soulcraft feels absolutely planted in all riding conditions thrown at it and the steering is intuitive, confidence inspiring. I do slow down appropriately for my age and skill level in the conditions, but never felt out of my depth or out of control on the bike.

Enjoy!!

]

Sounds familiar. It's the Salsa DNA!

Back