SEROTTA ATX; finally finished ,....T.G.!

The frame is going to be repainted; would colour would you make the frame?

• black (onyx) with black decals with white outline

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Simple white with white decals with black outline

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • The original paintjob; purpe metallic with fluor yellow decals

• Slate (that is the grey one)

• Pink with blue decals

• Green with yellow decals

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Platinum with white decals

• Total voters
Bummer indeed. Good luck with the warranty, & don't let the dealer get away with it, I hate it when they do this.

HAZ= Heat Affected Zone for those who were wondering.

If I look at all the pictures the crack does extend beyond the HAZ on the non drive "left" side. My guess is it started from an initiation point in the seatpost relief, followed the HAZ boundary line of least resistance and was/is still growing away from the relief cut to the left.

Any good frame builder in your area can fix this for not to much money. Also you could have them switch it to a seat post clamp to help w/ this issue in the future.

Basically you can’t believe what people tell you because they’re all hoping you’ll give up and not realise what your rights are. Your claim is against the person who sold it to you. Obviously he would like to palm it off onto the importer, but now can’t. But even if the importer was still in business, it wouldn’t be him who was going to fund a new frame anyway – you have a claim against the dealer, the dealer has a claim against the importer and the importer had a claim against Serotta. With the importer gone, the dealer should claim from Serotta.

Anthony":neavxpqx said:
Basically you can’t believe what people tell you because they’re all hoping you’ll give up and not realise what your rights are. Your claim is against the person who sold it to you. Obviously he would like to palm it off onto the importer, but now can’t. But even if the importer was still in business, it wouldn’t be him who was going to fund a new frame anyway – you have a claim against the dealer, the dealer has a claim against the importer and the importer had a claim against Serotta. With the importer gone, the dealer should claim from Serotta.

That's what i thought exactly,..thanks for confirming my thoughts,...
I will wait for the reply from Serotta, if they want that the dealer still a part of the issue or i can handle it directly,.
If not i will go back to the dealer and confront him.

The dealer's liability is under the Sale of Goods Act - that goods are of a merchantable quality. As the bike is several years old, I think that proves it is - had it failed like this after 3 months then it definitely would be the dealer's problem.

The lifetime warranty is offered by Serrotta - and it's then an interesting debate as to whether the wording was the Importer or Serrotta themselves. As they are not in the UK it's not enforceable under UK law.

So that's back to begging...and a nice local framebuilder. FWIW any stress raiser from a shim would be at the shim edge, so 80mm or so below the top of the seat tube.

I can't see that the shim issue should be a problem unless Serotta specifically warns you not to use one. Obviously an 8cm shim can set up a stress point where it ends, but if this was a serious issue (a) why did firms like Orange fit seatpost shims as standard, and (b) wouldn't the same stress point apply even with no shim if you fitted the seatpost at its minimum insertion, which is generally either 8 or 10cm? I don't see the difference between an 8cm shim and a post inserted 8cm.

Could be the shim just plain wore out, allowing overclamping, then repeated flexing on pedal stroke. SNAP!

Same thing happens with carbon posts on alum frames(mine). :)

956LEseatmastcrack.jpg

Still no reply although they will reply me within 2 days or sooner (according to the site),....
Forwarded the email again and give them a call on Tuesday if i do not hear anything from them in the mean time.

serotta5.jpg

how high did you have to drop the cow from to get it to splat like that as im thinking a cow splat rug would look so cool in my bedroom :cool: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

cannondale king":3hysy3xw said:
how high did you have to drop the cow from to get it to splat like that as im thinking a cow splat rug would look so cool in my bedroom :cool: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

i life in an old warehouse on the top 4th floor,...that was high enough to do the trick
The biggest challenge was getting the cow in the elevator the 1st time ! :LOL: ;)

Back