Stem length. How much to make a difference?

58cm TT and 135 stem seems awfully long to me. I'm 5'10 and ride 56 TT and 120 stem and this gives me the 'hidden front hub' perfectly.

Old Ned":2j3jnu7f said:
58cm TT and 135 stem seems awfully long to me. I'm 5'10 and ride 56 TT and 120 stem and this gives me the 'hidden front hub' perfectly.
Ha. This now makes me worry that there's something wrong with me, I ride the same measurements as you, to get the hidden hub, but I'm a whole four inches taller...

You won't be joining me in my tree then?

I am going to try a shorter stem although I too have the perfect hidden hub.

Are we thinking 120 or 90?

Just a quick question.........nip out to the bike and put your elbow on the nose of the saddle and the arm down the top tube.

Whereabouts are your fingertips? Touching the bars?

Shaun

Midlife":3hjrbpkt said:
Just a quick question.........nip out to the bike and put your elbow on the nose of the saddle and the arm down the top tube.

Whereabouts are your fingertips? Touching the bars?

Shaun

Just shy, about half way along the stem.

Usually for a "Cumfy" touring type ride your fingers should be able to touch the stem.

Not an absolute guide for a "square" frame but might suggest the stem is too long or the saddle is too far back.

Shaun

Midlife":25ozvjet said:
Usually for a "Cumfy" touring type ride your fingers should be able to touch the stem.

Not an absolute guide for a "square" frame but might suggest the stem is too long or the saddle is too far back.

Shaun

...should be able to touch the bars or the stem?

Thanks Midlife. I think I will try a shorter stem. If its rubbish I can always change it back again.

I will report back once I buy one, fit it and get the shop to fit the bar tape.

Best not to "trial" a new stem and put fresh bar tape on in case you need to swap the stem again.........assuming it's a Cinnelli type quill stem. I might have something in the garage that's shorter?

Shaun

Back