1993 AMP Research B2

this is one of the nicest builds i have ever seen, congratulations!
and btw. its the first build were the topline cranks look good on. i don't like them too much but they harmonize perfectly with the rear tiangle and the amp forks. respect!

Thanks! It's much appreciated.

I've since popped on an AMP brake brace in place of the TWP and saved enough weight to afford a set of Bovine Stubs barends and still be down 0.2lbs from the original build :shock: . Need to get some updated pics on.

Just picked up a 1st gen B3 and F2 fork which I'm looking to give a similar treatment. :twisted:

Mr. Zero":1wppje43 said:
Thanks! It's much appreciated.

I've since popped on an AMP brake brace in place of the TWP and saved enough weight to afford a set of Bovine Stubs barends and still be down 0.2lbs from the original build :shock: . Need to get some updated pics on.

Just picked up a 1st gen B3 and F2 fork which I'm looking to give a similar treatment. :twisted:

nice...definitely want to see pics of the Amp brace, and the new build up....please :D

GoldenEraMTB":2cxms1qb said:
nice...definitely want to see pics of the Amp brace, and the new build up....please :D

It took me a while, but pics and specs are now updated at the top of the thread. ;)

Mr. Zero":8uc2n0se said:
Hilts":8uc2n0se said:
The other night over dinner having watched Klunkerz and seen Mrs F enjoy the film I said her how cool it would be to fly to the states, hire a winnebago (sp??) and drive across it hitting all the cool MTB spots...

her response..

'You'd be on your f8ckin own'...

I guess Klunkerz hasn't made THAT much of an impression on her...

Sounds to me that you got the ideal response...

That is the response I'd be hoping for too!

Great looking bike BTW I had one once- with carbon F3 forks. Could not get on with it in general but it was a fantastic climber.

That original fork

Do you mind telling me more about that original fork (black steel legs)? Was it a generic version of the AMP Link or was it a fake Link? Thank you.

Will it take other forks?

Hi there,

Very tasty bike, great job. I've just 'inherited' a B2 frame too, but the original fork's pretty much worn out - heaps of give - plus parts are hard to come by here (Singapore..)

Do you know if the headset will take a modern fork, before I start fiddling? I've got a spare marzocchi bomber.. (sacrilege, I know)

Many thanks.

One of the things I really like about AMP bikes is that all of the pivot parts and damper internals are common items you should be able to find at a good hardware store. So you ought to be able to easily and inexpensively put together a rebuild kit for your fork without any involvement from AMP. If it turns out you can't find the parts needed for your fork where you are shoot me a PM and I can put together and forward to you a fork rebuild kit as I've done for some other Retrobikers here.

As for installing a more modern fork you shouldn't have a problem there either as AMPs have always had 1 1/8" headtubes. I would just suggest going with a 63-80mm travel fork to preserve the geometry of the frame.

Be sure to post some pics in the Reader's Bikes forum when you've got it finished! :)

Back