91 Merlin retro/modern/custom build (aka the Merlingham)

Ok, I've decided. My Merlin (1991 as well, 5152) too will follow the dirt drop path! I was going to do it to an old Fisher Montare, but you've pulled at my heart that a build of this unique nature needs a strong heart. The 3.25 Ti hardtail Merlin will do nicely. :cool:

Looking forward to your lead to guide me out! Debating the BB to start with. Have you had yours done yet? I'm not sure I need to do anything there or not. How do you know?

r0gue":2mur8d3u said:
Ok, I've decided. My Merlin (1991 as well, 5152) too will follow the dirt drop path! I was going to do it to an old Fisher Montare, but you've pulled at my heart that a build of this unique nature needs a strong heart. The 3.25 Ti hardtail Merlin will do nicely. :cool:

Indeed. :D

r0gue":2mur8d3u said:
Looking forward to your lead to guide me out! Debating the BB to start with. Have you had yours done yet? I'm not sure I need to do anything there or not. How do you know?

For me it was easy. I've owned the frame for 20+ years and although the BB spindle still spun it wasn't exactly smooth. I figure I'm taking the time and money to do this right so I might as well get the essentials fixed up in the process. Also I'm fortunate enough to live in the San Francisco Bay Area and relatively close to Black Mountain Cycles. Mike, the owner, is a fantastic mechanic and works on a lot of bikes with various weird pressed in bottom brackets. He was able to service the greaseguard BB, replace the bearings, and install a new Phil Wood titanium spindle exactly matched for the Morati cranks.

Is that BB something I can do with his parts, or would I need to send the frame to him?

Here is my Merlin just a few weeks ago. Alll stripped downnow. Disc brake forks on a 91 Merlin! sheesh! :oops: I still have a decent amount of decal left. Thoughts on leaving them vs. doing a complete scotchbright treatment?

img2216z.jpg

despite my lack of posting, I am actually making progress on the project.

Have the LD stem and a Specialized/WTB bar all ready to go.

ld_and_stem.jpg

Still waiting on the fork. Maybe now the NAHBS is finished I might see some action on that front.

Joel at Clockwork Bikes was fast.... actually too fast. I paid 1/2 cost with the order at the beginning of Dec and he was ready to ship before the end of December and I didn't have any money so had to wait until January. :roll:

hi classen
WOW!!! this is an amazing build. i will be following closely. :cool: :cool:
i love the brakes you made too. i'm a big fan of rollercam's.
roy

Re:

classen":16vawgkr said:
I've made the U-brakes and the brake boosters for the Merlingham.
Here are a few shots:

These are fashioned after the WTB brake boosters:
booster_1.jpg

booster_2.jpg

Some shots of the brake arms:
csm1.jpg

csm2.jpg

mounted.... sort of:
csm_1.jpg

csm_2.jpg

csm_3.jpg

csm_4.jpg

csm_5.jpg

Those previous pictures show the springs before I cut them to length.

Tune in next year for my next update ;)
I fall in love !
Perhaps a little production ? I want one ! :D :cool:

Back