Daily Fail Report On Cyclists

highlandsflyer":opbtezin said:
My point was exactly the same as yours.

We don't know the details.

We cannot discount the possibility that the pedestrian in this instance was walking across the crossing and the cyclist came hammering through betweeen a lorry and a bus.

At pace, that is invisible in every sense of the word, especially to someone unsteady/infirm/SIGHT RESTRICTED.

Hence why I said "Like you said", I didn't claim originality on that point. What I had to say on it is clear in my above posts, same as the agree to disagree part........

The lady has my sympathies nonetheless and the cyclist is an idiot, but that still doesn't discount the point I made, despite the very strong possibility that the lady may well be infirm and partially sighted. One of my relatives is more or less completely blind and has to deal with idiot car drivers/pedestrians everytime he ventures out. He takes a very long time to cross the road due to a near miss a few years back, so he's extra careful. Generally to some car drivers apparent annoyance who are always in a mad rush to go...... nowhere.

One of the main issues apparent to me is similar to a point made in the thread, too many selfish people around these days who are far too engrossed in their own business to give any thought to others. Big cities like London etc.. are more prone to this selfish disregard for others compared to smaller towns/villages. Crossing roads these days ain't for the faint hearted, and as for road cycling? The 20 miles or so I've done since fixing my bike up have been scary at times, I think I'll stick to off-road!

I really get that too, but the truth or not of what happened is secondary to the argument about who should be behaving better.

If you are hammering towards a light controlled crossing, or even coasting up to it, you are bound by the rules.

If you hit someone crossing when you have a red light, you are at fault. It does not matter if they are dancing with a blindfold on, you are at fault.

You need to observe the road ahead, and if a red light was not clue enough, a pedestrian crossing or stepping off the kerb should have done the trick. If you are between stationary vehicles and heading out from that position, you need to allow for the possibility of someone coming accross.

Whatever way you cut the cookie, it always comes down to the person who is not following the signs.

It's a dangerous world out there, it always was and we are a large populated country with a small land mass, we have to learn to respect each other or else we will find heavy handed legislation and the removal of rights or even more chaos than there is now, because one thing I have discerned about most in the UK, is that they are not as relaxed as they could be, for everyone is always in a rush even when they don't have to rush.

But always minorities and to think we live in a democratic country where it is the majority that is supposed to be favoured, except the majority suffer for the minority.

But what could actually be the problem in all these situations where we come to grate up against each other, could it be the media stirring up resentments and creating problems via comments such as that in the OP ?

Because it could be many do not have an axe to grind against anyone, but bombarded with what they are daily by life in general and how hard it is becoming for many, they are further bombarded by negative reporting and questionable comment when they turn to the media for entertainment, it could be a person who previously had no issue suddenly does through what they read.

Beware of the media, they exist for their own profit.

my mother in law got knocked over by a cyclist this weekend. he took her to a cafe and bandaged her up, bought her a cuppa, made sure she was alright and they parted ways without a Daily Mail journalist in sight....

but i don't think he was wearing lycra, so that'd probably explain it.

twain":cwwhsiu9 said:
my mother in law got knocked over by a cyclist this weekend. he took her to a cafe and bandaged her up, bought her a cuppa, made sure she was alright and they parted ways without a Daily Mail journalist in sight....

Lol ;) (Obviously not the fact your mum in law got knocked over, just at the lycra comment!) Glad she was ok too.

I'm also glad to see that good manners and common decency still exist, and that at least this one stopped!

I think she should try lookinjg before crossing next time.Pedestrian/zebra doesnt matter,its good sense to look and sorry to say but this old lady doesnt appear to have any.
Nor do the cyclists that keep riding into her.

dyna-ti":1558n9yh said:
I think she should try lookinjg before crossing next time.Pedestrian/zebra doesnt matter,its good sense to look and sorry to say but this old lady doesnt appear to have any.
Nor do the cyclists that keep riding into her.

I can't seem to find the bit where it says she did not look.

twain":k9ugujcw said:

I saw a cyclist get knocked off his bike by a car two weekends ago... the car driver got out to double check he'd totalled the rider... when driver emerged from his vehicle I noticed he was fully Lycra clad :shock:

I think there's a pattern emerging here.

dyna-ti":17f2ozu0 said:
look and sorry to say but this old lady doesnt appear to have any.
Come on! She looks rather good! :)

I couldn't resist. :p
Sorry for that!

I don't get, how someone on bicycle, could knock her down and managed to continue without falling down.
He should at least check if she is O.K.!

Back