David Weir

Remembering a lot of these aids are sold to the government at hugely inflated prices
The other end of the market from me I'm afraid.
However, in my experience as a wheelchair retailer, many of the manufacturers sell direct to the NHS at prices approximately 20% below any trade price I can buy the same products for. This is certainly the case with Invacare UK, Sunrise Medical and Bohle. Sub-£100 wheelchairs, £40 walkers, £15 Zimmer frames and crutches at well under £8 per pair.

UK made brazed steel Remploy/Lomax chairs cost more that 3 times those of equivalent Chinese/Taiwanese products from Sunrise etc, and only retain their presence in the UK government market through the massive inertia of the NHS wheelchair services/OTs and buyers.

Mr. Slorance seems to have had plenty of time and VC investment interest, yet he is still asking for data and specification requirements from his potential customers to finalise the design after over 3 years of publicity and Design Awards. The last price I heard was over £6000 each. Probably realistic given the R&D costs, mould costs, F1 design claims and labour costs of UK composites manufacture.

I've never sold scooters, so can't comment on that one.

All the best,

danson67":q5tyngyd said:
Remembering a lot of these aids are sold to the government at hugely inflated prices
The other end of the market from me I'm afraid.
However, in my experience as a wheelchair retailer, many of the manufacturers sell direct to the NHS at prices approximately 20% below any trade price I can buy the same products for. This is certainly the case with Invacare UK, Sunrise Medical and Bohle. Sub-£100 wheelchairs, £40 walkers, £15 Zimmer frames and crutches at well under £8 per pair.

UK made brazed steel Remploy/Lomax chairs cost more that 3 times those of equivalent Chinese/Taiwanese products from Sunrise etc, and only retain their presence in the UK government market through the massive inertia of the NHS wheelchair services/OTs and buyers.

Mr. Slorance seems to have had plenty of time and VC investment interest, yet he is still asking for data and specification requirements from his potential customers to finalise the design after over 3 years of publicity and Design Awards. The last price I heard was over £6000 each. Probably realistic given the R&D costs, mould costs, F1 design claims and labour costs of UK composites manufacture.

I've never sold scooters, so can't comment on that one.

All the best,

That is the power of a large buyer, of course. Your profits rise massively with market predictability.

£6000 is peanuts in the scheme of things, when generic mobility scooters are selling for that kind of money.

I would happily pay whatever it takes to help my loved ones get mobile.

There is a place for high end hi tech adaptions given that.

:)

I kept thinking about hubs for some reason when I was watching the wheelchair races. Are they special or just something like top end bike hubs?

Hi, Tazio,

Most of the elite guys will be using just commercially made 700c carbon wheels of some sort on the rear. These are only made by Corima, Zipp and ProLite, so they have pretty good bearings as standard. They have fittings built in for the pushrims and a 1/2" UNF stub axle.
IMG_5672.jpg

Some of the athletes have been trying out ceramic bearings, but they can be a bit fragile with the constant cyclical pounding and angled loads. Generally we just remove the internal set of seals, flush the grease out and use a light SpeedLube.

The cute little 20"/432mm/450c front deep section tubular wheels are from Corima.
19thNov05485.jpg

The shallower alu rimmed wheels are usually off-the shelf Sun Metals or we prefer Velocity rims, with special hubs, manufacturer specific 50mm wide, 12 spoke.
Over the years I've used custom fronts from Phil Wood, Sun/Ringle, Rousson Chamoux/Maxicar and now ProLite/JoyTech.
IMGP2430.jpg

All the best,

Latest posts

Back