Daily Fail Report On Cyclists

Boris Johnson= Pro cycling.

Petronella Wyatt = bitter that Boris dumped her.

She writes against cycling in London to piss Boris off more than inflame any public hated against cyclists. Woman scorned and all that.

And Petronella.....not a posh name at all :LOL:

Disclaimer : not bothered by colour,creed,religion,social background.

I agree the article being in the Mail does make it a little suspect, but it is more a springboard to discussion that an analysis of the voracity.

As cycling becomes higher and higher profile we maybe do need more self policing and attention to our behaviour needs to be focussed on the more dangerous habits we have.

I can well believe someone has been run over twice by cyclists without it being their fault in any way.

That is not the same as suggesting cyclists should not be out there, or overlooking the fact cyclists are more often the victims than creating them.

I would welcome an element of compulsion to road safety training.

That is contentious, but most interesting debateable subjects are.

:)

highlandsflyer":19bricza said:
I agree the article being in the Mail does make it a little suspect, but it is more a springboard to discussion that an analysis of the voracity.

As cycling becomes higher and higher profile we maybe do need more self policing and attention to our behaviour needs to be focussed on the more dangerous habits we have.

I can well believe someone has been run over twice by cyclists without it being their fault in any way.

That is not the same as suggesting cyclists should not be out there, or overlooking the fact cyclists are more often the victims than creating them.

I would welcome an element of compulsion to road safety training.

That is contentious, but most interesting debateable subjects are.

:)

I've kind of avoided posting on this thread mainly because of my hatred for The Daily "Hate" M**l and the fact that the article is just another example of the idiocy and small minded nature of that paper.

It is a contentious issue about compulsory road safety training, and I for one can see how it might help but, bear in mind however, the basic road driving test doesn't stop all idiots and neither would a cycle test. Look at all the uninsured boy racers who neither have a license or intend to acquire one, fools exist in all walks of life and the old lady in question is clearly unlucky in the extreme to have encountered two of them!!

In my line of work it still makes me smile that so many people fail to see me in a yellow bread van covered in blinding blue xmas lights, and a siren you could hear at a Metallica gig. What chance does a cyclist have against the idiots in the general population and for that matter pedestrians, I know that's somewhat off topic but the same rules apply. I've had pedestrians young and old walk out in front of me despite the above, and its only because I'm paying attention that something bad hasn't occurred. So for me it boils down to you (either as a cyclist, pedestrian or driver) to be prepared for the worst to happen and be able to do something about it when it does!

Plus neither a green traffic light or green man means "Go" it means proceed with caution..... clearly the old lady does not know this!!! ;)

That is not clear.

All we are told is she was crossing the road and a cyclist hit her having gone through the light.

All the caution in the world is not going to save you from a cycle passing between lines of stationary traffic and thus invisible.

We don't know the details, so that is merely one scenario.

highlandsflyer":374yhy74 said:
That is not clear.

All we are told is she was crossing the road and a cyclist hit her having gone through the light.

All the caution in the world is not going to save you from a cycle passing between lines of stationary traffic and thus invisible.

We don't know the details, so that is merely one scenario.

Hence why I shouldn't have posted.

I will respectfully have to agree to disagree with you on this one. Whilst I agree wholeheartedly that the cyclist is indeed in the wrong having gone through a red light, you should never take a green light as carte blanche to cross a road or indeed junction if you are driving, it should almost be treated as a "Give Way" in fact.

Like you say, not enough facts to comment on how it occurred in the first place, so no point disagreeing over whether the cyclist was between lines of traffic etc. plus no one is invisible.....

That is except for the black dog that runs in front of people who crash late at night with no one else involved.... honest it was there and I swerved and hit the tree. No i've not been drinking.... well maybe I had 1....... ;)

My point was exactly the same as yours.

We don't know the details.

We cannot discount the possibility that the pedestrian in this instance was walking across the crossing and the cyclist came hammering through betweeen a lorry and a bus.

At pace, that is invisible in every sense of the word, especially to someone unsteady/infirm/SIGHT RESTRICTED.

Boromedic":3ap9uakx said:
you should never take a green light as carte blanche to cross a road or indeed junction if you are driving, it should almost be treated as a "Give Way" in fact.

I don't think anyone is suggesting you should.

Back