Kid's Retrobike....

Hi

I love these! I presume these are full size MTB wheels, but XXS frames? Would the fit a 8/9year old?

My lad is out growing his Carrera Blast (decent enough halfords bike) I would love to put something like this together, but he also wants a racer/cross bike type thing.

If I could pick up a small frame I would like to put something together.

mattrixdesign2":1gf7n47h said:
Hi

I love these! I presume these are full size MTB wheels, but XXS frames? Would the fit a 8/9year old?

My lad is out growing his Carrera Blast (decent enough halfords bike) I would love to put something like this together, but he also wants a racer/cross bike type thing.

If I could pick up a small frame I would like to put something together.

I too was surprised that such as small frame had 26 inch tires. I call Stumpy up there, the little kid's 29er :)

mattrixdesign2":albkoehk said:
Hi

I just picked up a tiny-framed 26er for my 9 yr old (she's pretty averagely sized) and I think it needs some adjustment to be right:

Short stem; junior saddle; 155mm cranks; BMXy brake levers with reach adjustment adjusted; smaller tyres (1.5 - 1.75") to lower the standover height; twist grip shifting (easier for small fingers, and reminiscent of the Grifter that started me off); kick stand and mudguards.

She also doesn't need loads of gears so I'll probably go 1 or 2 x 7.

The difference that a decent frame makes is worth the hassle though, and the original kit can be re fitted as she grows.

Built this for my 11 yr old daughter. Its retro-modern.....although its a year older than she is so its 100% retro in her eyes :D

Love that Spec and the Clockwork.

Attachments

• orange2sml.JPG
    orange2sml.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 1,205
  • orangesml.JPG
    orangesml.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 1,204
Fantastic build! I am also on the look out for a son project. Was 13.5"the smallest full-size? I saw this on the Bay by the way, a bit steep in price, but beautiful non the less:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350558068218&clk_rvr_id=381804972721

bianchi_grizzly_(1).JPG

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
a few of my builds for my boys ;)

one on a sunn frame 5000 max - the hots barely squeeze in :LOL:

P1020141.jpg

this blue - another sunn frame most probably in very light excel tubing

IMG_3557.jpg

and finally a parkpre pro my son hardly used :roll:

P1010719.jpg

When I do my searches you will be surprised just how many small frames/kids size are wrongly put in the womens bikes section so worth looking in there if you have the time and are looking for a bike for the mrs or kids

built a small rockhopper (modern frame) for wifey ,it was all i could find at short notice , but after seeing those oranges and sunns i will keep a look out for something better for her

Back