Disc brake adjustment...going mad!!

Is the disc bent? You have to be really careful with the disc if your packing the bike in the car or on a bike rack. The slightest bend and it's goosed but you can always bend it back. Plus they can take rock strikes as well which can bend them. Sounds as if they've been running for a few months with no problem and now there is one that something like this has happened.

Check the hub it sounds like?
Clerance isnt so much a problem as long as your rotor is true, my pads run at a slither of a gap either side. Putting a piece of white paper or aiming your caliper towards a light can help a great deal.

...rotor is fine with veeery minimal lateral movement (I've bent it back into shape a couple of times)....

Hubs were new 6 months ago but laced to older Mavic XC 717 rims which are ok but slightly egg shaped by a couple of mm...Could it be the spoke tension not being right and allowing the wheel to flex too much putting stress on the hub/rotor?...Clutching at straws now!

cyfa2809":wcrj3mdb said:
Does it do it when your going round corners?

I noticed that when I leaned over to the right having the bike at a bit of an angle to the ground it got better....hence my wheel flex theory...

Well i have seen play in hubs in a few weeks so never say never. But it probably isnt that, it can be flex which does sometimes translate to the hub.
Maybe try putting a proper pad spacer in between the pads? (Like the red avid ones). While it is in, pull the brake. Is the brake really stiff? Of so maybe some fluid will need letting out to let the pads return a bit further and create a bigger gap.
Can you see if the pads/pistons retract fully?
Or the pistons just may need returning manually.

The hubs have no play (a pet hate of mine) and are silky smooth...brake levers are not stiff the opposite nice and smooth...

Axle/Spindle bent sending the disc slightly to cock when weight applied?
Does it rub all the way around each rotation?

Back