Upgrading a childs Specialized Hot Rock A1 FSR

Bullpup

Senior Retro Guru
Although my son hasn't yet quite outgrown his A1 FSR we have been starting to look for a suitable preferably 26" wheeled full suspension frame with no luck as yet - weight and top tube length being important considerations.

As an interim measure we are thinking of ditching the standard RST Forks and upgrading to something that can at some point run a 26" front.

Are their any good quality forks that will work well for a child?

Many thanks

Pretty simply no! The extra weight seems better saved and rigids used instead. Remember for a kid, the extra kg on the bike is the same as 3-4kg extra for an adult.

Thanks for the reply.

While I agree entirely with what you say he has 2 other bikes: 1 rigid - an old steel Rockhopper and a Marin with suspension forks.

This bike already has full suspension.

hamster":1bs780z6 said:

Why? Surely every Dad wants a hobby to share with their Children? I get as much pleasure out of his Bikes as I do out of my own and as a fringe benefit it provides protective camoflage for my own bits and pieces.

Fit some air forks like SID's or Reba's on it. My sons Hot rock has toras on it at the moment but will be getting a air fork for it soon. Has no problem riding it and loves it!!!

He also has 2 other bikes a BMX and a road bike!!!!

Also - how old is he?

My 14-year old just took over my FSR after I moved all the bits over to a Focus Thunder frame - and he left me for dead on the climbs in the Alps last weekend. He'd have been struggling for traction on his old hardtail.

Back