After 753 ?

lastpubrunner

Retro Guru
Hi all,

I have a SBDU 753-framed bike, with which I'm very happy. It certainly feels lighter & more responsive (for whatever reason) than my 531-framed steeds.

Thing is though, I'm wondering "What next ?"

Having completed one 'project', I'd like to move on to another - I certainly miss having a 'project' :). If I were to 'move on' to buy 853 or 953 frame, would I notice any gains? Or would it be a case of lightening my wallet for no good reason ?

Oh yes, I've seen 853 frames built in 'normal'-sized tubing & 'larger'-sized tubing - is one 'better' ? And does it weigh more ?

Would I notice much difference or 'improvement' over my existing 753 frame ? Or should I try a titanium, carbon or scandium frame ?

Personally I'd try a different style of road bike: tourer, crosser, audax etc.
You'll also get to explore some new ways of riding:
1 Ever ridden with a tent and camped at sunset in the corner of a field before, then left at sunrise?
2 Ride MTB trail using a drop bar bike and overtake somebody on a full susser?
3 Ridden all night from sunset to sunrise?

etc...

Does there have to be a what next?

Why not just be happy with what you have. Nothing wrong with wanting what you have.

I went 531 SL to a 531 ST (but in the correct size)

I have since gone over to Titanium.

But....

I would happily own a good lightweight steel frame again, such as an 853, 753, 953, 725...

Or....

Columbus Genius, XCR or Life etc

Or....

True Temper OX (Some Salsa and American frames made in this)

There are loads of nice, and interesting frames out there.

But I think if you are looking for something else, then you are not fully satisfied with what you have.
A good friend of mine has often mentioned a saying, 'Quality remains long after the price is forgotten', which was the principle I built my last bike on to which I am now very happy I did and spent what I needed to get exactly what I wanted.

If you hanker after a Reynolds 953 frame, or something like that, then save, wait and skint yourself to get it. Only then will you be fully satisfied. Better to have the 1 bike you really want, then have 2 or 3 built and spent money on that you compromised on and are not truly happy with

Titanium is well on my radar. You can pick them up for quite sensible money now as well - discounting dynatech and the like that are built out of commercial pure rather than titanium alloy.

gregs656":3jlvdcjy said:
Does there have to be a what next?

Why not just be happy with what you have. Nothing wrong with wanting what you have.

I've no intention of selling any of my bikes. I am happy with what I've got; thing is - I just want more :). I acquired all my bikes as frames (projects) and I guess that I just like having something to work on.

Part of it is the urge to 'collect' :D I suppose; . . . . . . . the old n + 1 analogy.

I'll be renovating the 753 as my next project - after that I'd like a Harry Quinn built in Columbus, preferably EL, as I haven't got anything built in Columbus tubing. After that, I'd like one built from from decent Ishiwata tubing if I can find it.

Back