Delta V 700 - Done (I damn well hope so anyway)

After the disappointment of buying the wrong diameter front mech, I finally got my act together and finished the bike off today. Went out for a wee test ride round the local woods and was quite pleased with the results. Bike built up into a nice overall weight and handles really well. The headshok is however living up to its name. Every time I hit a big bump I get a shock right through my body up to my head. The spring is just a bit too soft and I'm using most of it as sag. The massive stem isn't helping, it dwarves the original bars and puts a lot of weight over the front. Seriously I'd be better off mounting it sideways and steering from it. I liked the looks but I've fitted a shorter mid-90's Coda stem from a Super V which has the added bonus of being split clamp so I can fit my old riser bars. This will also solve the feeling of riding tri bars that the original bars gave. I've also bodged an old lock out knob to fit the top of the forks and act as a top cap. Again not strictly original but vintage and in keeping with the rest of the build.

Anyone know if you can bodge the headshok internals to lock them out and turn them into a rigid fork? I don't want to go the the expense of a headset reducer and other forks.

IMG_0104 by steven.clubb, on Flickr

IMG_0105 by steven.clubb, on Flickr

IMG_0108 by steven.clubb, on Flickr

IMG_0110 by steven.clubb, on Flickr

Good job :cool: , was never a Cannondale fan BITD, go kind of hot an cold on them now, i think the complications and potential hassle of the Headshock would put me off a bit.

Eck you know 66s are 160-180mm travel don't you? Think that might be a touch OTT for this frame! Looks good as is, I've always fancied a shot of a headshock to see what's compared to a real suss fork.

Rumble":35o2qezq said:
Eck you know 66s are 160-180mm travel don't you? Think that might be a touch OTT for this frame! Looks good as is, I've always fancied a shot of a headshock to see what's compared to a real suss fork.

nope i never knew that :oops: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Rumble":1ahw1f9e said:
compared to a real suss fork.

Cheek! Whatever do you mean ;)

Turns out cannondale still make compatible springs! They're for a 60mm fatty fork but will work with my 50mm version just a bit more preload. Dr Cannondale even have them in all 3 spring weights. Only £20 so worth a punt. How many other companies still support their 19 year oil part?s (well, except Pace)

Checked serial number, so I now definitely know its an August 93 frame.

Re: Delta V 700 - First ride.

Been 5 months since the inital (only) ride so time for an update.
Got the replacement fork spring but couldn't get it fitted. Managed first part of fork strip but the internals need a specific castle tool which isn't made anymore. No-one on here had one (or would admit to it anyway) and even an old mate who's been 'dale daft for years didn't have one. Thumbprint are £90 for a service which is more than the frame and forks cost me in the first place, and that was assuming nothing else was wrong.
So I've been keeping an eye out on eBay but they've always been too expensive, disc only or one of the bright colours. Couple of weeks ago I saw a nice pair of Fattys in a platinum silvery colour. Newer than the frame, don't know exactly how old but has disc and canti mounts and an air spring with lock out. Got them fitted at weekend and they look good. Wasn't sure about the colour from the ebay ad but quite happy now they're fitted. Squishy oil noise from them so could probably do with a service but they hold air and the lock out and rebound both work so I'm not going to worry. Might get them done for the summer but I'm just going to ride for now.
Also picked up a 5 arm Coda chainset from another seller and got that fitted to carry the Cannondale branding further.

IMG_0196 by steven.clubb, on Flickr

Hopefully that's me sorted for now. As Velo says, they're the Apple Mac of the bike world, great if you stick to brand parts but a pain in the arse if you want to modify anything. I know everyone says old headshoks are a pain, but to me that's part of the charm of cannondales.

Back