Nuke Proof Atom Bomb hubs

gradeAfailure

Senior Retro Guru
Anyone got/used them? Seen a set on the 'bay, and I always wanted a set in my halcyon days of youth, but have heard that they're not all they cracked up to be quality-wise?

Fronts are good, but always check the rear driveside for cracks in the flange where it joins the carbon shell, I've seen loads go there. Also check that the collars that sit on the axle are still a tight fit, otherwise the wheels get a bit of play. That said I've a nice set of them on my slingshot road bike right now!

Mmmmm - my rear nuke proof hub has started to crack around the same area you mentioned. Just trying to find an alterative at the moment - any ideas? Would be good to keep the same type of hub - did they improve the design of the rear in later revisions?

To be honest I think they all did it, I rode a pair with cracks for years - what's the worse that can happen.........

I broke 2 fronts & 3 rears. should have learnt the 1st time, but kept on using them under warranty. scariest was when the non drive side rear flange decided to come loose from the carbon! total wheel collaspe as all spoke tension was lost!

I too had a total collaspe of a Zipp Carbon rear hub...was on a long road ride when my rear wheel suddenly felt like total spaghetti. I stopped and everything looked fine, got back on the bike and loosey goosey again. This time I pulled the rear wheel out of the frame and the hub shell literally fell apart, dangling by the spokes :shock:

First and only time I ever had to call for a rescue from home :oops:

Zipp replaced the hub but I quickly sold the wheelset after rebuilding it.

Back to Phil Wood hubs for me :D

cheers,

rody

Back