10sp on 90's frame ?

KeepItSteel

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Guys, i've never tried fitting modern 10sp on to older frames before - but I think this frame wears it well.
Im yet to fit chain and cables and dial it all in. Is there any reason that the 10sp system wont fit?
Any chain line issues to worry about?

In my mind it'll work, but i've been wrong before.

kapu.jpg

From my very limited road bike experience, but extensive mtb experience, if the OLD will take the 130mm hub (which obviously it will) then you should be OK.

There are however a couple of things to watch:

You will find that chain angle gets a little steep at the extremes of both front rings, but by the time it happens, you should really have already changed gear at the front anyway.

You may also find that in the lowest gear on the inner ring you may find that the top jockey wheel or even the rear mech itself will contact the cassette. This can usually be corrected with the B adjust screw on the mech.

My 10 speed Raleigh.

DSC_0143.jpg

DSC_0155.jpg

Nice.

Thanks, ill keep an eye out for extreme angles. Would be so nice to be able to set it up without issue

KeepItSteel":3dhicohf said:
Nice.

Thanks, ill keep an eye out for extreme angles. Would be so nice to be able to set it up without issue

If it helps your confidence, I have a 10 speed SRAM X9 set up, including twist shifters, on my 1990 Roberts White Spider, and all I needed to do was tweak the B screw a half a turn, as the jockey wheel was touching the cassette. After that, I did 30K off road in the Forest of Dean.

I haven't ridden the RSP yet, as I managed to dislocate my shoulder just as I finished it :roll:

I can't believe the Kona didn't sell... perhaps you are meant to keep it :shock:

NeilM":2nlfihtd said:
I can't believe the Kona didn't sell... perhaps you are meant to keep it :shock:

I think you are right, I honestly think karma/fate has played its part.
I was keeping my Ti road bike as my only road bike as I normally hate putting non period parts on my bikes, and use my road bikes more than MTB these days.
But, I never fully took to the Ti frame, and thought id have a go at getting over my style demons on this build... and so far I love it!
Its honestly a smashing frame, stiff where it needs to be, but so smooth on the road.

The Ti frame is now sold :)

Back