Scandium, can anyone clue me in?

Quite a few manufacturers offer lifetime warranty on thier scandium frames though, so they can't be that bad. I hope :LOL:

gavinda":1bfyqg6o said:
Quite a few manufacturers offer lifetime warranty on thier scandium frames though, so they can't be that bad. I hope :LOL:

Thanks for the info/comments, so its not just light but there are other reasons too, good strength and durability seems to be a reason as well.

Well my bike is almost built, but I am on hol tomorrow so wont have it in time ready for when I leave, so am picking it up next Sunday

Last 2 parts ordered and delivered are my KCNC Ti Scandium seat post and the KCNC Scandium flat bars, which are super light, they seem so fragile though.

I will see the mostly finished bike when I drop off the parts above later at my LBS, cant wait to ride it

Thanks again for all the Scandium info, its nice to know a bit about my bike other than what make it is and the make of the parts, cheers

Scandium .. Hmm

Isn't it just Aluminium with a tiny bit of scandium added to the alloy?

Emporer's new clothes

Dave_Mars":25rfy87v said:
Scandium .. Hmm

None of it is pure scandium I would have thought, the parts I mean, they are an alloy. Scandium is very rare.

Dave_Mars":2qsrv0b7 said:
Scandium .. Hmm

Emporer's new clothes

It is indeed, and I'm sure there is a down side, but I just can't think what it is.

brocklanders023":on0v7hfz said:
From memory the early On-One Scandal's were made from scandium. Wonder why they changed to alu?

I think it was a price thing and they also felt that it didn't make a whole heap of difference. Maybe with they're carbon frames coming out the space for a regular ally frame was more apt?

also read ina manual somewhere (when finding out what this stuff was); don't put light batteries in bottle cages on scandium tubes, was an easton press release...after running a bottle battery for a few years... :shock:

not sure why, the battery weighed as much as a full bottle...

Dave_Mars said:
Scandium .. Hmm

Emporer's new clothes

I think you'll be hard pressed to find any use of Scandium where it isn't used as a tiny fraction (usually no more than 1%) in an Alu alloy, just to increase the strength (and supposedly make it a bit more flexible, not sure about that though).

Back