My Colnago Master build

nal

Retro Newbie
Hi,

I built up this Colnago last year and this with the intention of riding L'Eroica.

The seller of the frame reckoned it was original but as from Germany through eBay I couldnt check. Definetly re-sprayed at some point but very good job of it.

I have managed to source mostly Campagnolo Super Record, but hubs and chainset & B/B eluded me. I love the Ambrosio Giro D'Italia rims and want a set for my road bike as they look so good.

Only other part I am not happy with is the seatpost. Haven't found a long enough Campagnolo one for it to fit me yet. I don't think 6'4" riders existed in Italy back then!!

Had a couple of rides around the hills of North Wales on it, and its v nice although old brakes are shocking compared to modern ones!!

But with the crap weather this year it has barely been out so now trying to decide to keep or sell :-( If I sell do you think would get more by splitting. Campagnolo stuff seems to go crazy on eBay. What shall I do? Enter L'Eroica 2013 so I have a target? Is there anything else like this to aim for?

I am sure it won't de-value if I keep it but seems a waste to have such a nice bike sitting around.

Hope you like.

Cheers

Nick

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo5.jpg

photo6.jpg

photo7.jpg

photo8.jpg

photo9.jpg

photo10.jpg

Like that :)

I'd say your groupset is a fair bit older than the frame, I'd expect to see Campag 8 speed with Ergo's on a frame like that. Not that there is anything wrong with your build.

The only way you're going to get a long Campag post is if you get one from their limited mtb range I think it was Centaur.

Thanks for sharing.

I wouldn't sell that, far too nice! Unless maybe you find a similar frame but
in a size that suits you better, and can do a swap.

It's a very very good idea to set a target. There are other retro rides like
Retro Ronde Van Vlaanderen and the Anjou Velo Vintage. Or you could set your
own goal like climbing Mont Ventoux or the Stelvio, or doing Paris-Roubaix.

http://www.crvv.be/nl/crvv/activiteiten/retroronde

http://www.anjou-velo-vintage.com/

Good luck,

Johnny

Beautiful, it would be nice to try and keep it, even if you hang it on the wall.

Unfortunately, there is a market in buying and breaking bikes for parts on Ebay. The right bikes are worth more in parts than they can be as a bike. You end up with the ridiculous scenario where somebody pays top notch for a frame and then has to find all the parts to put it all back together again.

auchhh just commit yourself to eroica 2013 :D

agree with other comment re: groupset older than frame (and frame too new for eroica rules, but it won't matter)

it's a beauty of a frame + a wonderful groupset = great bike

If you want a bigger frame go look in the land of Giants (Holland) get a bigger frame that fits you.
Put all the lovely bits on it that you have there and either keep the frame or sell it. Frames are thick on the ground at the moment. If you get one that fits the age of the groupset and is within the rules for Eroica you won't get rumbled.

It's a nice bike with really great parts on it. Don't split it up and part it out that's a shame.

If you do let us know.

Back