DA7700 105BB 5500 DA7700 sti - bike build questions

west green

Old School Hero
Hi all
My first bike build so excuse the noob questions. Been working on and off (mostly off) for 3 months. Dave Marsh 653, my guess is bike is early 90s, I've gathered a DA7700 groupset but shied away from fitting the DA BB because I'd heard they are tricky. 105 BB went in fine fitted the chainset but I'm not sure the driveside is tightened down enough? Initially I tightened down tilll it got very tight but didn't realise the inner ring was wedged against the chainstay till I fitted the non drive- side - went to spin the crank - nothing - doh! Dismantled started again, but everytime thhe same result with the driveside. So - I've tightened it enough so that I can't see any of the splines, but now i'm worried that I may damage the crankset if it's not tightened down properly. i've read this is a common problem (50-70nm torque). My question is - do I need to fit a spacer between BB and crank bolt? Sheldon Brown mentions this in one of his threads as a common solution for older steel frames and newer cranks. Question 2 - if that works - it seems I will have another problem as I also tried to fit the chain but couldn't get the braze on front der angled out enough to get the chain in and on the chainset. is this an issue ie fitting a 9 speed groupset to a frame that was probably made for 7 speed group. The 9 speed wheel fits in comfortable - and when I bought the frame the previous owner had been running 9 speed. finally - does anyone know how to get to the gear cable into the sti? Can't find any really clear instructions on net/ youtube? i'm worried that the gear indicator ribbon is clogging up the sti. it's a thin piece of black plastic chewed up inside the sti that would be attached to the computer. Thanks for reading this far, and hopefully when I log back in later the wise gurus of Retrobike will have repled with loads of nuggets of golden info for a green mechanic. Cheers all

7700 is Octalink and should be a 109mm for a double. When it comes to the cable, just ensure you have clicked the levers right to the end and the cable hole should be visible. It's a bit late now and I'm in the pub, but I can take photos tomorrow if you are still stuck.

good idea about a spacer between the bb/crank. I also have a Dave marsh and the clearance between the inner ring and the frame does concern me a little, I mean, you might get a fag paper in there but you're not getting two.

Something to have a look at tomorrow.

What BB do you have. 105 octalink you say but what length? 105 octalink is for Dura ace 7700 as this is V1. Hae you got as V2 octalink BB by mistake the splines on that are 9mm long 2.8mm wide. The V1 splines are 5mm long and 2.2mm wide. If you use a V2 the chainset will sit further in causing the problem you describe and even if it cleared it would mah up your chrank quite quickly.

Anyway to know if its a V1 or V2, the box doesn't indicate but I did buy it from CRC last week so it isn't old stock - annoyingly that could be the issue. Sticker on box says bb5500 110 bc137 68 and box says AW BB500 OU SPL 00. Label on bb definitely said 109.5. I'll try clicking through the gears but just wondered if the flight deck computer wire has caused anyone else problems when fitting the cables? I'd rather not use it but don't want to cut it off or open up the sti and remove it.

Back