Orange sub five

even though I never joined this form for the bikes (dont judge, was after somthing in the for sale section) your bike looks very nice, I could realy get into this :D

Just had the sub five on the scales and ready to ride it comes in at 30lbs exactly, not sure if thats light or heavy but im 14 stone so dont think it makes any difference how heavy the bike is!

I don't know what my Sub 3 weighs?? I'd be surprised if it's as heavy as 30lbs? It doesn't feel it? I would say it's maybe about 27-28lbs tops? It certainly feels nice and light and responsive to ride.

I'll compare mine to my mate's 2003 Sub 5 when I see him next and see if they weigh about the same?

Cheers GMC, iv never been bothered by the weight of a bike but just wondered out of interest what everyone else's oranges weighed.

No worries, my mate's 03 Sub 5 has some nice kit on it, but it's a 20" frame as he's 6ft 7" so it will be interesting to see how my Sub 3 stacks up against his 5?? I'll get some pics up as well, as we're plannig a full boing Orange Sub day out! Which should be a laugh.

Cheers

Greig.

I think the sub 3 had less travel (3" i would guess) compared to the sub 5 (5"ish). Some nice bikes in this here thread :) Your 5 would be really nice with some rebas or something JSKdog, nice bike that, i'd quite like a 5 myself.

I used to have an older patriot (was my first 'proper' bike), lovely bike, but i never rode anything gnarly enough to justify it, so I got rid in favour of a more XC oriented bike. Well now I'm living in north wales and getting into downhill, I've come full circle and bought a 2008 patriot frame (longer travel than the older ones, different geo, slicker looks) and it's a beauty! Really glad i've re-joined the orange club, they just look so cool, ride well and are totally reliable! You might notice the same rear mech and cranks on both bikes ;)

Some photos for those that are interested:

the first patriot when it came to me (paid £420 for the full build IIRC)
p4pb2987593.jpg

downhill mode:
p4pb3595311.jpg

somewhere in the middle, when i got rid:
p4pb3670233.jpg

The new beast!
p4pb6600943.jpg

Sorry for the thread hijack, just thought some other orange enthusiasts would like to see :) If you'd like me to move it to the orange thread then just say

Both those patriots are awesome looking bikes, im still not sure what to do with my patriot frame I bought it off ebay dirt cheap but needed a lot of work and some welding, iv just aout finished it and put new bearings in but not sure if I should spend any money on it?

Attachments

• 66383_440971306642_623151642_5798860_2810203_n.jpg
    66383_440971306642_623151642_5798860_2810203_n.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 2,617
  • P1030004.jpg
    P1030004.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 2,617
Yeah i think i saw that in a thread elsewhere (bikeradar maybe?). It depends how confident you are in the welds/welder! If it's all good, you might as well spend a bit of money, they're decent frames. And if the frame breaks again, you've not lost too much money, just save until you can afford to slap all the parts on a new frame :) I've been through so many frames in the last year or so it's not even funny!

its a nice bike now its built, although you should of sold it to me ;)
next time your up at daves ill show you my newest build(giant xtc team)

hi jskdog,

regarding the post you made above on Sun May 22, 2011 4:57 pm.

in short, it sounds like i am in the same position you were with that orange sub5 as i am currently in with an orange patriot 2004. at least one (i haven't confirmed this on both yet) shock mount bolt holes is ovalised.

i love the frame too much to let it go. i too am considering drilling and i'm looking for something that would allow me to continue to use the existing 8mm bushing and bolt kit. how did you get on with your home-made bushes? what do they look like?

cheers,
phil

Back