2009 Formula The One Brakes - any experiences?

Mindmap3

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I've been pretty intent on changing my Hayes Aces for a while as they're pretty heavy and not as powerful as I hoped. I was originally planning to get some XT's from Germany, however a set of The One's have cropped up for what looks like a pretty good amount.

I haven't had any experiences with Formula brakes but a lot of the reviews rave about them. I was just wondering if anyone has used an older set of them and what they thought of them.

There is also a set of Saint M810's for sale, but don't have rotors so will cost the same as a new set of XT's.

I have used some 2008 Megas (the slightly cheaper version of 'The Ones')and they were awesome. Power and modulation were excellent. You wont be dissapointed if you get 'The Ones'.

Formula brakes are top of my list when it comes to brakes (Formula, Hope, Shimano, Hayes, Avid.. I loathe Avid brakes)

I use R1's and they're incredible. Great modulation & superb stopping power

The One's have even more power than the R1's, they are truly phenomenal according to anyone who has used them

I've got The Ones, they have good reviews for a reason ;)

The only bad thing i've heard is that they can be hard to set up and bleed but i've never had any poblems.

Thanks for the replies chaps but whilst I was dithering someone else snapped them up so it looks like I'm back to plan a - a set of XT M785's from Germany when they are back in stock.

I was a bit worried about a lot of people finding the Formulas temperamental and requiring a lot of TLC. A few seemed to complain about poor pad life in the wet too. Because of this I took too long doing me research. Hey ho.

Teperamental? Noooooo.

My RX20 brakes took a lot of fiddling before they would stop dragging and squealing.
However they have enough power to stop the entire planet if they need to, and allow for plenty of modulation. (read as : "the height of the stoppie/endo depends on the weight of the fly that just hit the front brake's lever")

The Megas I have are the same as The One were that year, except they're a 2 piece caliper compared to The One's 1 piece. They are without a doubt the very finest brakes I've ever used, in every single way.

Back