mafac cable hanger

pistol13

Retro Guru
Alright chaps, gonna use one on the front of a build but i'm not sure how it works, how does the cable become seated?, am i missing a part?, micro cable adjuster?, any help would be appreciated
000_0350.jpg

Looks like you need a ferral (sp) outer end that sits in the hanger and holds the outer.

Not much help i know but difficult to describe.... :?

What shape is the hanger from the top ?

Nice Gazelle crossbike! :cool:

I used the MAFAC bit with an adjuster (donated by an old Euclid thumbie) on my Panasonic mountainbike. Must say the MAFAC hanger is a bit flexy. Not irritating, but it is a bit flexy.

Cheers guys. The shape is just a circle with a slot cut into it. I think i know what you mean by having an outer with a thin part on it to sit right in there although this leaves no room for adjustment :? plus i have never come across one! I like the adjuster idea but i have non small enough. I'll have to get down to the bike shop!
Anyone know of other classic cable hangers available?
Cheers Mick...

Personally I do not use them because of the adjustment feature. I went to them, because the small diameter piece (that goes through the hanger's hole) of the adjuster is way longer than that of a two stage ferrule. I noticed that with the two stage ferrule, when carrying my bike outside, I sometimes lifted the cable out the hanger when grabbing the stem. Not a problem when carrying a bike outside, but when it happens riding the bike it could be pretty fatal.

My old Guerciotti with a two stage ferrule

Btw Pistol13, please show us some more pics of your -what I think is an- awesome bike.

Elev12k":2hka34q3 said:
Personally I do not use them because of the adjustment feature. I went to them, because the small diameter piece (that goes through the hanger's hole) of the adjuster is way longer than that of a two stage ferrule. I noticed that with the two stage ferrule, when carrying my bike outside, I sometimes lifted the cable out the hanger when grabbing the stem. Not a problem when carrying a bike outside, but when it happens riding the bike it could be pretty fatal.

My old Guerciotti with a two stage ferrule

Btw Pistol13, please show us some more pics of your -what I think is an- awesome bike.

Highly unlikely it would come out while riding as the cants are under spring tension. After all, Mafacs were used by most top pros for many years without any problems.

It is highly unlike when you're holding your bar properly, but when on road I sometimes have the habit of grabbing the bar in the middle section. Could be you lift the cable with your thumb or so when changing postion. At least I am not gona try.

Desperately looking for one! Although the brakes i'm using on this bike are dia-compes, the hanger i have stolen from my other gazelle to get this one on the road. I'm gonna start a new topic with some build in progress pics! Cheers

Back