'93 Clockwork Limited Edition - Advice 4 noob

spearmint wino

Dirt Disciple
Hi there, new to the forum.

Tonight I will re-inherit this:

206096_10151205509767037_958665455_n.jpg

Don't know what shape it's in, but I originally bought it from Stif in summer 1993. It was built with Suntour, 8/9 speed thumbshifters, was light as hell and rode like a dream. At the time it was advertised as a limited edition colour, don't know if anyone can confirm this?

Since been frankensteined - aheadset, Judy XC long travel forks and Shimano drivetrain/shifters swapped in, as well as V brakes, some time around 1997 iirc. Since had 2 less than careful owners.

I was wanting opinions on what I should do with it... clean it up, swap-in a few retro parts and get it riding sweet again or strip it, go for a white powder-coat and new decals? Or something else?

Cheers,

S-W

Purple was not a standard colour in 93 from memory. Was by the end of 94 though. I could well have drooled over your bike back then 'cos used to hang around Stif quite a lot.

If it were mine, and in ok condition, I'd try to get it back to the original spec. That's how I roll.

Ok, rode it home across London last night, behaved pretty well. On first quick inspection, it needs a damn good clean.

BB turned smoothly, transmission needs a bit of fettling but basically ok, headset felt smooth. Couple of rusty bolts and fixings, there's even some travel left in the forks, and the stickers on the lowers aren't too badly scuffed. Front hub is some nasty new number, apparently the rim shredded through earlier this year. Would like to get a matching front wheel to the back, or at the very least build it back up with a matching LX hub.

The main issue is really with the paintwork. As you can see here, there is a strange 'marbling' markings under the lacquer. Anyone know what this is down to?

IMG_0176.jpg
IMG_0182.jpg

Apart from that its got a Ritchy comp stem, X-lite Xcountry risers in non-matching ano purple :evil:

IMG_0177.jpg

Shimano Deore LX 'Mega 9' groupset, those servo-wave brake levers:

IMG_0178.jpg

RS Judy XC 'Long Travel' (80mm) in farily ok condition:

IMG_0179.jpg

Tange Infinity tubing:

IMG_0180.jpg

Don't know how likely am I to find the old Suntour 9-speed gruppo to get it back to original condition?

Any advice from those more experienced gratefully received!

Apologies for the bump.

Can anyone advise on the weird markings on the frame above? Wouldn't want to be caning it around on a frame that was about to rust through from the inside out!

And anyone tried Armourtex in Hackney for powdercoating? Any other recommended places in London? (ideally SE, S or E)

At first i thoughtthat was how its supposed to be but the seat tube isnt like it. Only way I could see of checking would be removing the paint. Butsome one with more advice should be along in a bit.

poweredbypies":28tye4zm said:
Is it wrong that I quite like how it looks :?

I actually thought the marbling effect was what made it a ltd edition colour!!!

seemingly i was wrong - but i do like the look of it (although if it is a by-product of rust i would strip bare & re-powder it to keep it as strong as possible.

Back