Saracen Kili Racer - big thanks to Coomber!

legrandefromage

Bin Monkey
BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I get a PM from Coomber a while back - the equivalent of a shady looking character sidling up to you in the street (but not a dark ally - that would be an entirely different character, more like GT-Steve) - 'pssst! wanna buy an e-stay?'

Ooof! I had the red Deore LX e-stay many many moons ago, it was virtually unridden and as mint as could possibly be. It was my size and was to be the bike in the loft but of course things change and the bike soon went.

Roll on some 18 years (!) and this site throws up 17" after 17" with just the odd ropey 19" whilst ebay is the usual nightmare. I always had this bike in the back of my mind, cycling wasnt complete without that 1990's Saracen e-stay...

So back to that PM...

I loved the colour straight away, I had done many a bike like this in pre RB days, always with a bit of ano purple. I had been stock piling this & that but never managing to hang on to a set of thumbies - arrrgh! Anyway, no worries, rebuilt those old sti that everyone loves to hate and all is well. 73mm 122mm UN71 BB is a bit wide so the chainline is well out for now but, its pretty much complete. Not fussed by XT as this generation of LX is functionally similar anyway.

Hope you like it!

saracen_kili_racer_129.jpg

I think it looks better with the extra black although the matching Maguras are way cool.

Ah yes, Dave's old Kili Racer. I had that one powder-coated for him.
Great to see it built up with proper 1992 components.
(We'll ignore the 'modern' aheadset...)

Thumbs up!

@COOMBER , you given another one away mate ?

looks really nice LGF ,they do ride well

Bought it from Sidewinder a while back, and garage is at capacity. Then the trekker came up and always wanted a UU so hhad to shift this on. Just waited until I could find it a good home.

Regret it again now of course!

coomber":7i8coe1l said:
Bought it from Sidewinder a while back, and garage is at capacity. Then the trekker came up and always wanted a UU so hhad to shift this on. Just waited until I could find it a good home.

Regret it again now of course!

At least you know where it is...

Attachments

• more kili.jpg
    more kili.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 3,081

Latest posts

Back