Does a 1970s Zeus chainset have any value at all?

Kevin Mayne

Dirt Disciple
Feedback
View
I have no idea which bike this chainset came off.

I think it was probably the Mercian I had in about 1975, second hand. So it may be even older.

No idea what happened to the left crank either.

Zeus is such a forgotten name I guess it would need a very dedicated collector to want it?

Worth anything?

Attachments

• DSCF2932.JPG
    DSCF2932.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 771
Will be worth a fortune if someone has the left crank arm but alas I am thinking it will not be worth a great deal. Probably be better of removing the rings and selling those seperately as they are compatible with other cranks.

Tel":3amshjkc said:
Will be worth a fortune if someone has the left crank arm but alas I am thinking it will not be worth a great deal. Probably be better of removing the rings and selling those seperately as they are compatible with other cranks.

I'm not sure that is correct. I think these have a slightly different BCD to Stronglight, TA etc. I had a set once and nothing else but the Zeus rings fitted.

Zeus parts are really nice, I come across quite a few here in Spain, mostly from the 80's. They are almost exact copies of campagnolo parts from the same period, and just as good quality. This chainset is too early for me, but I can tell you that their later chainsets (mid to late 70's onwards, I think), have a unique 119mm BCD. So unique that it's not even listed on sheldon brown's list of BCDs :shock:

So if you want rid of it then I think just put it on ebay and see what it goes for (not much probably, but you never know with ebay!)

Thanks everyone - thought it was an odd one to place.

With all the other stuff I have to clear before I move house if I spent a week in the shed polishing my wife would kill me!

Might stick in a mixed bag of jumble!

Latest posts

Back