Picture sizing on the forum

sylus

Old School Grand Master
Just a personal groan/question

It is not unusual for some to post pictures on here so big that the page goes uber wide and having to scroll left and right to read the page.

Does the site operating system have the ability to automatically re-size the pictures to avoid these oversize over page pictures?

It does. It has to be put into the code and enabled. Problem with it (from dealing with it in other forums I use running the same software), it resizes ALL the images to a click-able thumbnail.

I guess it also depends on your screen's resolution. I resize mine to keep them scroll-free on a monitor that has a width of 1280 pixels. That should work on most laptops and just about every desktop PC.
On a 1024x768 they will require some scrolling indeed.

Is there then a way of limiting the picture size so when it's too big a message will come up asking them to resize so it can be posted?

The problem is also when a pic is linked too, it can be any size on the external site and not hosted anywhere on this forum, therefore it'll just display the original.

FMJ":2y78rqd8 said:
It does. It has to be put into the code and enabled. Problem with it (from dealing with it in other forums I use running the same software), it resizes ALL the images to a click-able thumbnail.

A football forum I use every day has resizing enabled on it that takes everything down to about 1024 x 768 automatically and if you want you can click on it to get the original size. It also has the nice hover thing where if you hover over a topic it gives you the first few lines of the post. I find that really useful. But the guy who looks after that part of the site is a computing professional and puts a huge amount of time into keeping things running nicely, a lot in work time I think. We can't expect that kind of time input on here.

Raging_Bulls":17vxf4s2 said:
I guess it also depends on your screen's resolution. I resize mine to keep them scroll-free on a monitor that has a width of 1280 pixels. That should work on most laptops and just about every desktop PC.
On a 1024x768 they will require some scrolling indeed.

that's way to big for all my laptops, but my old high res laptop and pretty much ever 'pad' and phone out there.
As I use google+/picassa I can change size at will just by changing a number in the link code and try to keep my to 800 wide as that takes into account the side avatar bit on the left, and works with most things.
I can then put a link to or just say for better resolution.
Code for uploading to the site would not alter that (normally)
The Archive&Gallery has the auto sizing there with the ability to select other sizes.

But the Forums not the most technically advanced, it;s just functional.

Just had a quick look, and mine are 858x643. That's 20% of their original size. Just a little too wide for a 1024 screen then. I suppose I could fire up my netbook to check, and resize every single photo I host. That'll have to wait until the weekend though.
And there's no way I'll keep 800x600 or 640x480 displays in mind. If you use any of those, I'd suggest upgrading to a laptop that was released after the French revolution.

As for phones and pads, Android should automatically resize any picture to the screen's width. My 2 year old HTC Desire certainly does so on its stock Android 2.2 .
No idea if Apple is already aware of the existence of pictures, so I can't comment on iPhones and iPads' abilities. :LOL:

Raging_Bulls":w0hibglj said:
Just had a quick look, and mine are 858x643. That's 20% of their original size. Just a little too wide for a 1024 screen then. I suppose I could fire up my netbook to check, and resize every single photo I host. That'll have to wait until the weekend though.
And there's no way I'll keep 800x600 or 640x480 displays in mind. If you use any of those, I'd suggest upgrading to a laptop that was released after the French revolution.

As for phones and pads, Android should automatically resize any picture to the screen's width. My 2 year old HTC Desire certainly does so on its stock Android 2.2 .
No idea if Apple is already aware of the existence of pictures, so I can't comment on iPhones and iPads' abilities. :LOL:

Yours are fine, well the Scott 1994 picture are perfect, though oddly they are shrunk on the forum display compared to their actual size seen buy opening the picture itself.

Though an my Android (err 2.3.5) the browser does not resize the pictures, unless like all browsers you zoom out too see them rendering the text unreadable ;)
But nowt you can do there. The forum just needs better software to cope with Phones. Seen some nice sites dealing with it IP.Board e.g www.fishforums.net seems to be really nice to use on the Android device with no apps used by me.
Cost though and that'll be the sticking point here.

Latest posts

Back