Wednesday tip find Friday rider - '84 Raleigh Record Ace

I might be in the same situation as LGF and be lucky enough to have a re-cycling centre rather than a tip on my doorstep, I have made a few choice finds myself and redistributed the wealth on here ;)

I found a Raleigh Flyer (Oh wow I bet your thinking a flyer!!!) It had a Dura-Ace 7200 rear mech, 3t record stem, Cinelli bars, Mafac levers, Original turbo saddle, and a Mavic BB, all for £5 :shock: :D :cool:

Then I found an old and very nice Falcon Mountain frame with some nice bits too.

So these finds are about :!: :!: :!:

Just not normally as pristine as this one ;) :D

Cheers guys!

I dont get bikes that often now, its gone from 2 -3 a week (!) to maybe 2 -3 a year. I dont even see that many at car-boot sales anymore.

Anyway, took it off road at the weekend and it didnt embarrass itself, which was nice.

I have a spare champagne coloured 105 headset that I think I might fit to get rid of that unsightly steel monster. Plus a few other bits to make it more, not modern but easier to live with. The brakes are not up to much and those levers are a bit naff but they work so might just leave it all in peace...

Yep, 605s were never very good, the rubber is way too hard. The levers look fine to me although personally I'd put them lower down the 'bars. It's such a great looking bike don't tinker with it too much!

Mark.

a just done 60 miles n'off-raod' type bump.

not much traction from michelin world tours...

gold sugino cranks too.

Found it in the catalogs:

ral84_10.jpg

ral84_12.jpg

I had one exactly like this but a bit more 'weathered'. Ran it fixed for a while, one of the few road bikes that fitted me properly. If it was in this condition I would never have got rid, great bike.

An 'its still here and the garden still needs tidying' type bump...

Must change the spoke nipples as the concave bit is rusting them through.

file.php

So, took it out of its winter slumber storage, a polish and a lube and we're off.

Forgot why I liked this frame, then remembered after a few miles. It just rides nice, theres no other word for it.

Will need to replace the freehub soon. Rebuilt the front hub as it was getting crunchy - found a few dead bearings.

Tyres are a bit to fat, but its not meant for speed so will think on these old style Michelins.

Attachments

• Record Ace rides again.jpg
    Record Ace rides again.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 556
I have a Raleigh zenith, in the same colour and design as yours. The ride is very smooth and has an up right ish riding style. I was in fact given that bike and it got me into roadbikes. I now have a Merckx and swapping between each ride is an entresting experience.

I keep looking at this post of your lovly racer, great to see more updates !
James.

Looking great! I ran mine with Ultra Gatorskins, which made quite a difference to the feel (for the better) compared to World Tours.
Nick

Back