94 Cindercone - Fork'n confused?

gerryattrick

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Following the question raised by Chuck Moo below, I've just compared the fork with the original genuine 94 Project 2 and they are the the same length - about 405mm a-c (allowing for measurement error on my part). If anything the ones on this bike are a couple of mm longer. I know the longer P2s are 410mm and believe the shorter ones are 390mm. Can I rest easy that this is the correct fork for a 94 Cindercone?

I've just rebuilt and had powder-coated this Cindercone from a F&F off ebay. The paintwork was in poor condition so it had to be painted. I chose this satin grey/black colour scheme just because I like it, although I know it won't be to everyone's taste.

I fitted it with a full black LX M563 groupset and original style rims. I made it with the aim of keeping it and getting rid of either my Merlin Malt or Univega Alpina 5.7 as i don't want more than two rideable bikes at any one time, but the problem is I'm not sure it handles any better than those two, certainly not the 5.7.

I'll give it a few more rides fitted with RC35s before I decide. If I keep it the Merlin will probably go

It won't have decals as I don't particularly want to advertise it when parked around Cardiff, but if I sell it I'll get decals from Gil-m first.

Attachments

• IMG_2232.JPG
    IMG_2232.JPG
    131.5 KB · Views: 1,000
Are you sure it's a 94, as they went from non corrected for suspension forks in 93 to corrected in 94, the latter is longer. The ones fitted are the earlier forks. Also the stem is earlier too as the 94 model had a grey coloured stem. What was the original colour of the frame, the 94 was a bronzey browny sort of colour?
Sorry for being picky
John

I'm certain the frame was 94, although you could be right about the fork. The frame was the right colour, as were the decals,P2 tb fork and Velocity stem (a light metallic silver/grey). The frame also came with a Kona headset, Sugino chainset, seatpost, seatpost clamp & rear brake cable guide. I chose to use another black P2 fork of the same size and an earlier black Velocity Joe Murray stem I had to fit the colour scheme, keeping the originals for future use.

Would the fact that it may be the wrong fork be noticeable in the handling?

Hi
The older fork was longer and yes it will alter the handling. If you didn't know then you wouldn't notice much , however if you then tried one with the right forks you would notice a bigger difference. The angles will be too steep making the bike feel like its sat too forward on it self, the steering will be quicker if not twitchy and the bike will not feel settled.
John

I just looked at the pic and the headtube looks too steep, I looked at that and a road bike sitting In front of me in my living room and yours is steeper, which is the wrong way round

gerryattrick":vr0lsuup said:
I'm certain the frame was 94, although you could be right about the fork. The frame was the right colour, as were the decals. The fork was black, whereas the catalogue for that year showed a light metallic colour fork. The frame came with Velocity stem, Kona headset, Sugino chainset, seatpost, seatpost clamp & rear brake cable guide. The stem was the light greyish metallic colour but I chose to use an earlier black one I had to fit the colour scheme.

Would the fact that it may be the wrong fork be noticeable in the handling?
The frame is definitely a 94 or later. As you say, it was designed for a 410mm a-c P2. If you're measuring that fork in exactly the same way and it's coming out at 405mm, then you would need to have extremely well developed senses for you to be able to notice any difference in the steering from the 5mm variation.

Chuck moo":1w763woi said:
I just looked at the pic and the headtube looks too steep, I looked at that and a road bike sitting In front of me in my living room and yours is steeper, which is the wrong way round

I'm now more confused than ever. The previous owner had the bike from new in 94 and sold the frame to me with its original fork. While I haven't used the original fork in this build I have used an identical sized one - other than colour exactly the same a-c and steerer length. I changed the fork simply because I wanted to keep the original for potential future builds.

I will be putting either the F,F, Stem & bits or the complete bike for sale soon so would like to clear up any confusion before I do.

:? :?

Back