Sneaky feeling ive been robbed

tommywilsonuk

Retro Newbie
Me again ...

I purchased a front Schwalbe Blizzard tyre from my LBS other day and fitted it for a ride that I conducted today (Richmond to Hawes and back - Im a very lucky lad to live in the yorkshire dales).. thing Is on fitting the tyre, and not really checking it ive noticed a "bubble" perhaps more of a kink in the tyre. I didnt notice it but did obviously when out on the road. It made a "bump" everytime the tyre revolutioned. Now I read into this and basically on looking on the inside of this tyre there is a small knick right where the bubble was (I also refitted the tyre and blew it up, it confirmed that this knick in the tyre was the problem..

Basically im supposed to be out again tomorrow and the LBS is shut, so before I can go and voice ones displeasure at being sold a disfunctional tyre I was wondering if their is a fix for this? The knick is literally just a knick. It hasnt gone right through the tyre by any stretch of the imagination? I read you can cut an old tyre and place the rubber over the knick?

Again, thank you so much.. Big ride tomorow, dont fancy missing it :)

There are manufacturing tolerances on all tyres / tubs and back in the 70's when I worked in a bike shop we simply swapped it and sent the original back to the Factor / Manufacturer / Rep for a refund...sorted:)

What we wouldn't swap were inner tubes where the individual had fitted them with a set of kitchen spoons LOL

Just take it back......

Shaun

Struggling to see where the LBS is at fault here, sounds to me like a factory issue. If they're awkward about swapping it, then kick off...

Coincidence perhaps, but the front Schwalbe Marathon on my girlfriends new Pashley started to bubble after a couple of days of riding... A box fresh bike from Pashley, called them, they asked if I was OK swapping a new one over and simply sent a new tyre. They kindly asked us to dispose of the original.

Even in the old days we would often destroy the original to make sure it never made it to the second hand market......

Shaun

hazeyblue":2au9006d said:
Struggling to see where the LBS is at fault here, sounds to me like a factory issue. If they're awkward about swapping it, then kick off...

even if manufacturing default sale of goods act says shop is place to go, so take it back............

I had problems with Schwalbe tyres. I did a few hundred miles on them and ended up with the same problem as you. They had allready listed the issue on their site and the process for getting them replaced.

Turned out it was a defective batch. I photographed the damage and the serial numbers on the inside of the tyre, and e-mailed them.

Heard nothing for a while, and replacements arrived from the states with a pile of tubes as well.

Poor comms, but I felt like it was good support.

I would think the shop would be under obligation to sort this for you though, but might be work a look at Schwalbes site.

daugs":1tymi0ni said:
hazeyblue":1tymi0ni said:

even if manufacturing default sale of goods act says shop is place to go, so take it back............

That wasn't my point, yes (as hinted in my original reply) take it back to wherever it was bought from.

The OP feels like he's been "robbed" and wants to voice his "displeasure" to the LBS - as is if it's their fault for a factory bad tyre. That's where I'm struggling to see how the LBS is at fault.

tommywilsonuk":3m9mm5xf said:
But are they (LBS) liable to replace even if i did 20 mile before really noticing the problem?

They should do, without fuss hopefully and especially as you've not long bought it. As Midlife says, they'll just hand the dodgy tyre back to the Schwalbe rep.

After our tyre bubbled, I got the impression it wasn't a new issue to Pashley...

Put it this way if I had sold a tyre to someone and it had developed aproblem after 20 miles like you have described I would swap it without question even if I could not get a refund of the distributor (they would probbaly want it back anyway so in all likely hood it won't be worth it).

What more important to the LBS, a customer who feels ripped of and never comes back or a customer who knows if a problem occurs then they get sorted out without hassle. I know which I value more and I am sure your LBS takes the same view.

Back