New restomod project - Cinelli Unica

vivelesalpes

Retro Guru
I was after a new summer bike but wanted a steel framed bike as I'm not to fussed about carbon (I can only stretch to the low end carbon frames and I know a few folks who've had problems).

So I've bought myself this - a Cinelli Unica. It's in fairly good nick and I got it for a decent price on eBay France. It's Columbus Thron throughout - not the lightest but it will do me.

It's going to be my main summer ride so I'm not bothered about it having period correct parts. I'm planning on putting a Campagnolo Veloce groupset on it as it's relatively cheap and I can't be doing with Campagnolo's obsession with bits of carbon on higher spec models. (I was going to go Shimano 105 but it did not feel right on an Italian frame).

The 'other bits' are going to be a Cinelli stem and bars, a Miche seatpost and a Selle Flite saddle.

Hopefully I'll post some more pictures when I've sneaked the parts under the wifes radar. Any information that anyone would like to share about these frames would be great.

unica1.jpg

unic2.jpg

unica3.jpg

unica4.jpg

unica8.jpg

I don't know much about these frames I am afraid, but I know I like it and it is a lovely colour :D :cool:

Glad you choose to put Campagnolo on there rather than Shimano, I know all the arguments for Shimano being technically better, but I ask you Suzuki make great working cars, and Ferrari's are temperamental at best, but how many millionaires want a Suzuki :?: ;) Also Italian deserves Italian ;) :cool: :cool: :cool:

I've finished building up this frame now (except for a nice alloy stem which is on order), so I took it out for a 73 mile spin this morning on a club run.

It looked nice and shiny compared to some of the stealth black groupsets on some of the other members carbon rides. (Not all of the club I'm in are philestines - one guy regularly comes out on his Joe Waugh and several have done L'Eroica).

It handles like a dream and is a similar weight to my Specialized Tricross

Heres the spec:

Wheels: Campagnolo Khamsin
Tyres: Vittoria Rubino Pro
Majority of Groupset: Campagnolo Veloce (ironic as when this bike was originally sold it had the 8 speed version of this).
Cassette: BBB 12-27 (I would have gone Campagnolo but wanted a bigger range for some of the Peak Districts 1:5 hills)
Chain: SRAM (A lot less faff than the Campagnolo one by the sounds of it)
Stem: Cinelli XA
Bars: Deda 215 (was going to go down the Cinelli route but could not afford the Giro bars with everything else).
Saddle: Selle Flite (thinking of fitting either a Cinelli Nero or Selle SLR)
Bottle Holders: Elite Ciussi
Tape: Stella Azura (lovely stuff)
Pedals: Shimano SPD-SL

unica11.jpg

unica9.jpg

I know it will not be to everyones taste but it is going to be my main Summer bike and I like it.

Back