Wetherby country cruise ~ Aftermath.

marc two tone

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Saturday morning, can't believe i'm getting up, fairly close to home so got time on my hands to sort out equipment and fill my stomach with toasting waffles, yoghurt and a banana :)

what else? collect rich aitch from leeds train station and beat a track upto collingham. still not at full strength so we popped into wetherby for a coffee.

linton bridge carpark had just two big puddles so i knew the recent rain was no disadvantage to a mountain bike so spirits were high!

from the off was a brake cable mechanical to deal with so we had extra time to get what we had forgot from our vehicles.

cool breeze and somewhat overcast but, it cleared up quickly to give a warm, clear outlook by midday.

i have done this route plenty of times and, found it stacks more enjoyable with some retro-bikers to share it with.

mud? we found it all right but, somehow added to the fun with front wheel wash-outs happening all over place.

many thanks to all who attended. a bigger thanks to those from a good distance too, liverpool, scunthorpe etc...i hope you all enjoyed your little trip to wetherby.

here's a crumbley old building we found.

SPOFFORTH CASTLE

PICT0031-1.jpg

i also saw some kytes. ;)

PICT0027-2.jpg

early mechanical to sort out. slmracing was so mad he could have bit through the cable! :LOL:

PICT0002.jpg

let's make some hay.

PICT0004-1.jpg

longun givin' it some.

PICT0018-2.jpg

easy riding.

PICT0010-3.jpg

PICT0017-2.jpg

PICT0013-2.jpg

sorry for the a-non pic but, i like the bike.
:cool:

PICT0015-2.jpg

Andy B sorts out a puncture.

PICT0020-3.jpg

longun sorts his ring out :)

PICT0021-3.jpg

climb back to sicklinghall. not sure of the riders' identity.

PICT0024-1.jpg

loads of wildlife, pigs n all!

PICT0022-2.jpg

the biggest, dirtiest bull i've ever seen was in this field. matthews volunteered to see how chilled it was. good lad, i'll watch from this side of the gate :cool:

PICT0026-1.jpg

IF ONLY i could get a mortgate on spofforth castle. cool features.

PICT0034-2.jpg

from spofforth we took the 'harland way' down to wetherby to bask by the river.

PICT0038-3.jpg

PICT0037-2.jpg

cheers.

well worth the 180 mile round trip.
nice easy pace ride.
the dyna-tech performed very well apart from refusing to change to the granny ring when i needed it.
the mid ride food was very nice, but i didnt fancy the man vs food style burger.
nice to meet some old & new faces.

is it just my car or is the m6 very bumpy in places. at times it felt like a mini roller coaster.

see some of you on the 15th.

jeff.

I really enjoyed this, apart from my throat trouble, a day well worth getting up early for. A highlight must have been the Red Kite swooping really low so that Videojet man and me could have a good look at it. Not far after that I saw a Dragonfly or a Damsel fly, I'm not sure which. This got me thinking as when I am walking I never see wildlife but when cycling I see loads of rare things, why could this be?
Good to see everybody and a well chosen pub for lunch. Hope to see you all at the Peaks ride.

Sorry I missed this chaps... In my head it was next weekend! :oops:

Looks to have been a good day out though!

Hi All

My input for the day. Great ride, save for my stupid rear thumbie which will be fixed tomorrow.

Nice to see, finally, Nigel on the Diamond Back Topanga. As everyone knows this bike won the Bike Of The Day award, thanks Ben ;-)

The beer was nice, the burgers nicer... oh... and the bike ride was ok as well ;-)

GEDC1469.jpg

GEDC1476.jpg

GEDC1473.jpg

GEDC1474.jpg

GEDC1478.jpg

GEDC1479.jpg

GEDC1481.jpg

GEDC1482.jpg

GEDC1483.jpg

GEDC1485.jpg

GEDC1487.jpg

GEDC1488.jpg

GEDC1490.jpg

GEDC1492.jpg

GEDC1493.jpg

GEDC1494.jpg

GEDC1496.jpg

Thanks for sorting this one for us Marc, a really great ride with a very nice pub!
There was great company as always and the weather turned out to be just about perfect.
I'm not used to being defeated by food so not managing to finish the Castle Giant Burger was a bit of a shock :LOL:
Nice pics there from Marc and Richard and a few from me coming up.
I seem to have more of the castle than anything else but I won't post them all up here.
Apologies for missing some of the bikes in the pics at the pub, I thought I had been round them all but I guess my old digi cam won't take pics of modern bikes!
IMG00479.jpg

IMG00480.jpg

IMG00481.jpg

IMG00482.jpg

IMG00483.jpg

IMG00484.jpg

IMG00485.jpg

IMG00486.jpg

The stupid big burger or whatever it was called!
IMG00487.jpg

IMG00488.jpg

IMG00495.jpg

IMG00496.jpg

IMG00510.jpg

IMG00511.jpg

IMG00512.jpg

IMG00513.jpg

IMG00514.jpg

IMG00515.jpg

IMG00516.jpg

IMG00517.jpg

IMG00520.jpg

IMG00521.jpg

IMG00522.jpg

IMG00523.jpg

IMG00524.jpg

IMG00525.jpg

Great to be back out on the bike again with good company & great food to boot

I have no idea what I was pointing at in the puncture picture, it was just a random catalogue pose that Rich happens to be in!

I have a couple of pics on my phone but I have no idea if they're any good, if they are I'll post em up

Thanks for organising this ride fellas, barring one puncture& & Longy having to fiddle with his ring everything went perfectly :cool:

Big thanks to Marc for sorting this one out , forgot the camera so no pics I'm afraid, great day out with great people and great bikes. Chris I've got 22 year old bar ends on so my bike is classed as retro BTW :shock:
Matthew

Looked a nice ride, nice to see the smiley faces as usual, brilliant.

I was thinking about the ride as I was preparing to drag my sorry ass out locally.

Back