Sun frames

Spokesmann":2pos6j6d said:
Truwel 'gas pipe' tubing does NOT mark a bike down with a collector. Pure arrogant RUBBISH.

Mike, the tubing is rubbish, but quality and collectible are mutually exclusive.
Collectors are usually more interested in paint, probably wouldn't notice if the tubes were replaced with broom handles.

Think "twice the weight and half the strength" , not strictly accurate but close enough.

Not wanting to get in an argument but the TruWel tubing Carlton Cobra I raced as a kid was quite bright and vibrant compared to what a Raleigh Wayfarer was made of......

Shaun

keithglos":6ibjc4uq said:
Spokesmann":6ibjc4uq said:
Truwel 'gas pipe' tubing does NOT mark a bike down with a collector. Pure arrogant RUBBISH.

Mike, the tubing is rubbish, but quality and collectible are mutually exclusive.
Collectors are usually more interested in paint, probably wouldn't notice if the tubes were replaced with broom handles.

Think "twice the weight and half the strength" , not strictly accurate but close enough.

Its not rubbish. I have a few 'nicely painted' bikes made of this, they look terrific and ride well. They'll probably outlast most of the carbon crap that proliferates today. I dont give a monkey's left testicle if it weighs a few pounds heavier - I dont care. Ive said it before here and Ill say it again, the term 'gas pipe' is used by a number of arrogant prigs (not you BTW) too far up their own arses to see that not everything that does not conform to 531 tubing et al or has a thoroughbred pedigree is worthless crap. Sorry it really riles me when I hear this term.

One of the main reason I ride my own path in the cycling world. ;)

P9300052.jpg

:cool:

Hi, sorry for triggering a such discussion, I have had numerous gaspipe bikes and have enjoyed them all. The statement concerning 'marking down' just infers collectors look for quality, exclusivity, or provenance for bikes in there collections, most mid range mass produced bikes. no matter how good they are to ride, will be missing a tick or two in a collectors scorecard, hence the marking down statement. An example being the Sun we are discussing, if it was green and white and had 'Chris Barber TR' decals on, it would slip into the exclusivity area and collectors may be interested. Thanks Terry

Spokesmann":gdq7dzdj said:
keithglos":gdq7dzdj said:

Its not rubbish. I have a few 'nicely painted' bikes made of this, they look terrific and ride well. They'll probably outlast most of the carbon crap that proliferates today. I dont give a monkey's left testicle if it weighs a few pounds heavier - I dont care. Ive said it before here and Ill say it again, the term 'gas pipe' is used by a number of arrogant prigs (not you BTW) too far up their own arses to see that not everything that does not conform to 531 tubing et al or has a thoroughbred pedigree is worthless crap. Sorry it really riles me when I hear this term.

I fully agree with Spokesmann !!!

Too many people are dismissive of anything that isn't Reynolds 531 tubing (or equivalent). The fact is, this Sun frame represents a type of bike that many of us will have ridden in our youth - before we could afford 531 frames. Yes, they may be a few pounds heavier, but like most of us, I could do with losing a few pounds myself, so it isn't an issue to ride such a bike. I find that bikes such as this, are very comfortable to ride.

The V-CC magazines show many such machines being used on club meets - for example, loop-frame roadsters from the 50s & 60s with rod-brakes . . . . . . these could also be classified as 'gas pipe' specials.

Go to a V-CC meet on a 1960s Post bike, an unremarkable ladies shopping bike complete with a wicker basket or a Raleigh Chopper :shock: and you'll be made most welcome and complimented on your choice of steed. Ironically, some years ago, I did a few V-CC rides; the pace of these was so slow (painfully slow :shock: ), that the riders may as well have been riding 'grey porridge' bikes. To be fair though, few of the riders would have been under the age of 60.

It seems odd therefore, that members of clubs such as the V-CC will (on this forum) denigrate 'gas pipe' frames as 'grey porridge'. The fact is, back in the day, many (most) people couldn't afford to buy a 531-framed bike.

I wonder how many 'gas pipe' specials from this era still exist ? They are as much a part of our cycling history as bikes with 531 frames.

I'm pleased that negaultra7 started this thread & posted links to pics of his bike - I found it quite nostalgic to look at the pictures. Such bikes are what I used to see frequently - not those made by Hetchins, Ephgraves and Bates etc - they have always been rare, worthy bikes though they are.

Negaultra7's bike might not be of much interest to collectors; but if he actually uses it, that's far better than it languishing in some 'collection'.

One of the main reason I ride my own path in the cycling world. ;)

Me too ! :D

Thanks for the comments.

I think Ive hi-jacked this thread enough, best get back to the Sun!

Back