BOTM Aug2012- British Special- Vote now.

Who has the best of British?

• videojetman- Dynatech

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • nevadasmith- Bigfoot Smokestone

• makster-1990 Overbury's Pioneer

• biglev-Roberts Peugeot

• dendy-Saracen Kili Comp 96

• Rob Aitken- Dave Lloyd

• legrandefromage-Harry Quinn

• firedfromthecircus-Cleland Aventura number 5

• mrlee-1985 Dawes cougar

• Giom6-Zinn Z-classic

• Easy_Rider-'94 Dawes Special Edition

• Dawes-Man-Dawes "The Edge eXTRa"

• H-Fuquay

• danson67-1985 Highpath

• reanimation-'94 Prestige

• NeilM-1990 Roberts White Spider

• Paul Eggleton-Pace

• ShiftySteve-91 Aluminium O

• JeRky-Chas Roberts D.O.G.S.B.O.L.X

• Mr Panda-1995 Orange P7

• mikee-Pace

• sinnerman-Hardisty/Nike

• terryhfs-m-trax

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Not bad for a 29 year old bike that was designed by a motorbike rider and subsequently built by men in sheds.

Slight correction there Graham; if you recall your visits to the Cleland 'factory', it was my sitting room, complete with real fireplace. Some operations took place in the kitchen, like forming mudguards over a steaming kettle.
The shed was full to overflowing with componentry that had been tested, found wanting, and shoved there. The chap who cleared it for me took it all away, but I never found out what he did with the stuff. He lived at one of the cottages in the famous Hogtrough Lane.

I remember the original Cleland workshop well and the room where my Cleland would have been originally assembled was as you point out, was not a shed. After I acquired the frame in 1984 it was then rebuilt in my living room in London. It was then completely reconstructed by David Wrath Sharman in a watermill in Wales Afrer I broke the frame in 1988.

So the sheds I referred to were indeed metaphorical ones as distinct to big factories with well funded research and development departments. Though as you know all of the Guildford Built Highpaths, including danson67's, were all made in a David Wrath-Sharman's garden shed.

Had the Cleland design been adopted by major UK manufacturers when you offered it to them in the early 1980's their history could have been very different. Though despite the humble nature of their places of creation, the design and build-quality of the bikes was always of a highest order.

In the letter below it is interesting that Geoff's letter was received date was 11th of May 1992 and then the response letter was sent out the same day. This implies that the topic was given little in the way of serious consideration or inquiry.

Attachments

• letterfromdawes001a.jpg
    letterfromdawes001a.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 698
Torn between two - Jerkys Roberts and Maksters Overbury - I couldn't split them, plumped for the Overbury - Lovely. :cool:

I wonder why nobody is saying about Dave Lloyd! two months ago, has been discussed on this bike so hot, it was bike of all time :shock:
..yes, it has won and sure will win this month also! :LOL::LOL:

.......RESPECT.

A Song for Jason Mcroy.

HYMN OF THE BIG WHEEL........RIDE FREE JMC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M9muYyYxhI

And a bigger thank you to all who Conrtributed to the build, it has meant a lot, this month Especially.

:cool:

Attachments

• always_in_the_air_496.jpg
    always_in_the_air_496.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 596
  • A TRIBUTE TO A LEGEND..jpg
    A TRIBUTE TO A LEGEND..jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 596
  • Jason McRoy..jpg
    Jason McRoy..jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 596
  • hardisty_209.jpg